Chickens on Martha Stewart

We caught the show! I don't watch Martha normally but my sister txt'd me about it being on. So we tuned in. It was a great thing for the kids to watch. We just recently got two silkies, which we keep in out kitchen and the kids love them. But when they tell people about them, most people respond like "ewwwwwww, chickens in your kitchen?" and i can tell you these girls are far less stinky and messy than our cats!!! Its just that cats are acceptable indoor pets. I hope Martha's show is a step in the right direction in understanding of chickens.

Is it weird we have them in our kitchen? We live in an HOA community and I don't feel comfortable leaving them outside. They really are NOT that messy and I clean up after them pretty much all day long. I hate the idea of being the "weird" chicken lady and kids
sad.png

Anyway, great show. Made us happy!

Amber

Martha's not on here. Link show's for the entire show now, so I'm off to watch it. TY!

Within the 1st minute Martha (30 years raising poultry
roll.png
) made a big booboo. They must have edited out the uproar from the audience.
gig.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't think you are the crazy chicken lady as I think I am far worse and have yet to be ridiculed.

I have 4 Silkies (3 Pullets and 1 Cockerel) and a Showgirl (Cockerel) that live essentially in my house. I live in one of the strictest HOAs in the country. You have to be sponsored by 2 residents and get permission from a foreign board after a rigorous background check to be able to check (not to mention the bylaws that are insane) but I still have my birds.

I ended up having a room that was specially built for them inside my house but with access to a courtyard which is where they are from generally 9 AM to 7 PM.

Their room is soundproofed, has a closed circuit camera, infrared night light, heated floor, separate heating and AC with HEPA filtration, Bird cleaning station and full spectrum lighting.

It does take a great deal of work to keep it all clean but I got one of those small industrial hot water floor scrubbers and I just have tektrol disinfectant to it. It is used daily and makes things easier to keep the property spotless but it still takes at least an hour or two everyday of someone cleaning. On top of that they get the best organic food, fresh treats 3 times a day, Smart water (which is changed 2 times a day, a range of dietary supplements, have their feet and beaks cleaned every evening and bathed every 3 weeks with 3 types of shampoo. So don’t feel bad

That said, I am no Paris Hilton and I did not get these as some sort of accessory and I didn’t get them because they are trendy. I got them after my dogs passed because I love the social structure of a flock and the amazing innate instincts that chickens have. I don’t try and make them into something they are not. I want them to do what chickens do. I do spend a great deal of time with them but I let them decide when they want to do and let them come to me. Everything is open in my house and they really have the run of the place and can find me.

One of my girls Uma comes and stands on my feet when she wants to be picked up and loved on which is usually twice a day. Also, we have a tradition in the evening where I lay down in the courtyard and they all roost on me after their last treat of the day.

I simply strive to take care of them to the best of my means and with the pride of being their flock leader and provider. I want them to have a great chicken life and they happen to be the best pet I have ever had.

Last edited:
You guys are amazing! I think your hens are incredibly lucky. And if you/we're a bit nuts, who cares anyway. We're not hurting anyone and we're enjoying our lives, which is more than you can say for a lot of other people. I think it's nice to make up for all the poor debeaked hens who are stuck in those battery cages leading miserable lives.

Wow ChickenGRAFFITTI!! Thats an incredible setup! I have a rabbit cage and the girls roam in and out. I use pine wood chips and wash my floor with pinesol! They don't really stink or anything, although early morning they poo a lot! I let them forage in the backyard in the early morning or the evening when there is shade. I sure hope I'm taking care of them well enough! I enjoy their "chickenness" too! They are lovely birds and I'm so glad to find a website that agrees I'm not the "crazy chicken lady" LOL!

(((hugs)))
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom