Chickens peaking each other

organicmomma

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 23, 2011
My 8 week old Barred Rocks are peaking my 8 week old Araucanas. They have been raised together and this is the first time I've had trouble. The coop is 16' X 10' and I have 40 birds. They have not been outside yet because of the cold and snow. Woke up this morning and went to fill the feed and 3 Araucanas had tail feather that had been peaked at severely. Should I trim peaks? I know a lot of people frown on that idea, but I'm afraid I'll lose chickens if I do not. They have seemed very happy up until this point. Any suggestions for a new small chicken farmer?

Last edited:
I have the same problem for months now & can't find the cure. I'm thinking of going to an online poultry vet for the answer. Has anyone ever done that.

welcome-byc.gif

They could be very bored??? In the winter when they can't get out much I give them a whole head of cabbage and that
gives them something to peck on other than each other. Maybe that could help???

I was letting the ladies out today and found our polish chicken peroige head a little bloody I clean it and seems to be ok. Is she been peck or something else. And would it be ok to put her back with some peck no more on the area

I was letting the ladies out today and found our polish chicken peroige head a little bloody I clean it and seems to be ok. Is she been peck or something else. And would it be ok to put her back with some peck no more on the area

Clean and dress the area and put her back in - but keep a VERY close eye on things so that you can catch any further pecking as quickly as possible and address the situation. Unfortunately, breeds with head dress (such as the Polish) can be common targets for pecking.

Back
Top Bottom