Chickens Picking on My Pet Turkey

PineBurrowPeeps

Eye see you...
11 Years
May 17, 2008
Here, there, and everywhere...
I have broad breasted bronze tom turkey who is about 3 months old.
He was bought as Thanksgiving dinner but he was so dumb as a baby that I had to handle him all the time to make sure he was eating enough and everything so we got attached to him and now he's in my big coop with my ducks and chickens since he's the only turkey I have.
He still comes up looking for petting and treats whenever you go outside and he talks to you, he's really sweet.
Anyway, my hens are pulling out his tail feathers and pecking at his vent area and he's not defending himself at all. We all know about chickens and when they see blood, peck peck!
I don't know what to do now. I know I need to get him away from them but he loves being with them and any time I turn him loose he cries and runs around the coop wanting to get back in.
I was thinking about bringing him in the house if I can set him up in a large wire dog crate until his tail heals a little.
Do you think this will get any better or just worse? Even if it heals up, will they just pull out his feathers again and hurt him?

Perhaps you can coat his tail in blue kote and/or hot peck so the blood is hidden and it tastes bad to the chickens? My bbb toms were the sweetest things. I wish I could have kept them but they met the oven as intended.

Back
Top Bottom