Chickens sneezing, coughing...????? NEED HELP PLEASE......

Big Red's Mom

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
Terry, Mississippi
I have notice a few of my chickens making an odd noise. It sounds kinda like a high pitched bark. Sneeze maybe or cough. I have check their eyes and nose and everything is clear. It is very hot here and somewhat dusty...but not that bad.... What could be going on? Oh listened to their chest and it also sounds clear.

Last edited:
My bantam hen is having the same problem...Just came out of no where today.
hmm.png

I have 19 adult birds. 18 hens and 1 roo...they are different breeds.
I also have 12 babies. The babies are all fine.
Please help with any info.

Last edited:
sorry, i don't, but wanted to let you know that my 7 have been sneezing randomly on and off for about a month. no other symptoms either except found worms yesterday.have no idea if that has anything to do with it at all. it is also hot and windy and dusty here. hope someone else chimes in for you.

Okay...I called my uncle who has had chickens all his life. He said they have a cold. I should put them on an antibotic for three days.
A little heaver than usual. I put it in the water last night after they went to roost. So this morning they have all gotten a good dose. I am gonna change it out late afternoon just before the bugs get to biting so bad. (I got ate up last night changing the water). I am also treating my chicks. (who have no signs of being sick) He said it is airborne and they will all get it if not treated.
idunno.gif

Hope this helps the others who have it going on too. I will update this post as the meds. are given and I hope they get better.
fl.gif

GOOD LUCK.

Quote:
I also found worms recently and notice some sneezing I am in the middle of de-worming my chickens, now I know one worm that lives in the lungs then gets coughed up and then swallowed wonder if that might be going on,

Antibiotics given:

Duramycin-10 (Tetracycline Hydrochloride soluble powder) I give 1/4 tsp per gallon of water.

Note: I had also just wormed my chickens on the 15th. (had not noticed any worms prior to treatment)

Okay it has been a few days now and most have stopped sneezing. Just one is sneezing a good bit and I think she started the whole thing. I have put her in a smaller pen to give her meds for a few more days. How are ya'll sneezers doing?

Back
Top Bottom