Chickens still flying the run after clipping one wing

ASD Dad

Chirping
Mar 15, 2018
Upstate, SC
So I have 2 EE's and one we are not sure what she is that like to fly over our 50" tall fence. We have a pretty large run but with all the rain in SC we have a big mud pit and I think they may be escaping for drier pastures!

Anyplace they escape is not good with our dogs and neighbor dog as a possible issue.

We clipped one wing on them and that stopped things for about 2 weeks. Well now the EE's are escaping again! I always heard that clipping one was better than both as it knocks them off balance and if both are clipped they can just flap harder if they really want to get up in the air.

We clipped all of the long feathers on the end of the wing which I think are the flight feathers, right? We had to read and watch videos to do it (first time chicken owners).

Should we clip their other wing? We cant keep them in the coop all the time. Eventually it will be enclosed with hawk net (right now it is just across the very top on 8ft tall poles) but we need to keep it open on two sides due to getting a big landscaping project done if it ever dries out.

How old are they? Sometimes feathers grow out in younger birds. You can clip two but it can cause some problems like hard landings and being unable to get up on roosts or in nestboxes. If necessary than clip lightly initially, maybe just clipping the first few feathers and go from there. Clipped wings are better than dead birds.

How old are they? Sometimes feathers grow out in younger birds. You can clip two but it can cause some problems like hard landings and being unable to get up on roosts or in nestboxes. If necessary than clip lightly initially, maybe just clipping the first few feathers and go from there. Clipped wings are better than dead birds.
X2.
I went conservative when I started clipping wings to keep mine penned. I took primaries off one wing. They got out. I took secondaries off same wing. Most still got out. I ended up taking primaries and secondaries on both wings on about 1/3 of my birds.

One of my EEs was killed by the neighbors dog after a full single wing clip. Don't mess around. Clip 2 wings at least primaries and see if they can still get over the fence. Then take secondaries if you have to.
Mine only have to jump about 16" to get on their roost and have no trouble doing so.

Sounds like they are determined.
Just a thought, but i wonder if you put some pinless peepers on them they would stay in the run. I have a girl with peepers on now as she is a feather picker, and most nights i have to place her on the roost as she can not see good enough fly up 3 feet and land on it.
I bought 25 peepers and the tool to put them on for about 13 dollars from Amazon.
It was the first time i have used them and it was easy. After dark i just had my daughter hold the chicken and after a couple tries it was on.
May help until your netting is over the top of your run.
20181124_175527.jpg

Back
Top Bottom