Chickens still not laying.

FoggyFowl1719

Chirping
Dec 2, 2021
New Mexico
I have 19 laying hens of different breeds. Some are around 3 years old but I also have some that are one year old as well as a few pullets that should come into lay soon. All of my layers were egg a day girls until autumn came around. Production started to dwindle and now I get no eggs at all. In previous years, I would keep a heat lamp in the coop and they would lay daily through the winter. But I've been using the light for over a month now and still nothing. I feed Dumor 16% layer pellets and put ACV in the water. I also add D. Earth to the food to keep parasites away. Can anyone tell me why my girls aren't laying and what I can do about it?

I should also mention that I rearranged the flocks 2 months ago. Everyone seems to be getting along fine but could my hens be stressed due to their new living arrangements?

No need for ACV or DE.

What is your coop(size in feet by feet with pics),
and what all and how exactly you are feeding?

I should also mention that I rearranged the flocks 2 months ago. Everyone seems to be getting along fine but could my hens be stressed due to their new living arrangements?
Details on this, please.

Probably don't need a heat lamp either.
Welcome to BYC! @FoggyFowl1719
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1638618192431.png

Welcome to the forum from Louisiana, glad you joined.

The stress may have helped trigger a molt but the stress from the move should be long over. A molt can take a few months though.

Can anyone tell me why my girls aren't laying and what I can do about it?
The most common reason for hens to not be laying is the molt. You don't say whether you are north or south of the equator. If you are north I'd suspect the molt.

A common cause for people to think their hens aren't laying is that they are hiding a nest on you. It's unlikely all 19 would do that but if most are molting this could be contributing.

Sometimes critters eat eggs. Most leave some evidence behind but a few don't. I don't know where you are located so I don't know what potential predators you have but in North America the most common critters that take eggs without leaving a trace are snakes, canines, and humans. A snake eats eggs then disappears for a few days to digest them before it comes back for more. If it is an everyday thing it's not a snake. Most canines like fox or coyote would probably be more interested in your chickens than the eggs but a dog might eat eggs without bothering the chickens. Does a dog have access? A human doesn't have to mean a thief or stranger. Some people have done things like this and considered it a funny practical joke.

So what can you do? If they are free ranging can you lock them in the coop or coop and run for a couple of days? If eggs start showing up they were either hiding a nest or you locked out an egg eater. Or you can mark an egg and leave it down there. If it disappears you know something is getting them.

You can tell if a hen is laying by looking at her vent. If it is tight and dry she is not laying. If it is soft and moist she is or very soon will be. Once you see the difference it's really easy to recognize.

To me, everything is pointing to the molt. But you are looking at them, I'm not.

I live in NM. My main coop is an 8ft by 9.5ft insulated shed. The nest boxes are like cubby shelves and there are 12 boxes. The yard for the big coop is 17ft by 14ft. The smaller coop only has my 2 Ayam Cemani hens and rooster. It is an 8ft by 8ft insulated shed with a 17ft by 8ft yard and 2 nest boxes. Both coops and yards are secure from predators. I even have chicken wire over the tops of the yards. When I feed, I measure it out daily by weight and put it in the standard poultry feeders. They aren't molting as I would have noticed all the feathers and collected them. To the contrary, all of their feathers are looking beautiful. Both coops are located within 50ft of my house and I have security lights in case cats or coyotes get near.

I also feed fruit and vegetables whenever we have extra. We grow it ourselves organically so I know there is no affect from pesticides. I don't let my chickens free range because there are too many things that could kill them; Dogs, cats, predatory birds, etc. Not to mention that we work on our own vehicles so there is a chance of them getting into harmful chemicals if they get out.

At their ages I would too expect decreased eggs due to lack of sunlight. Older birds take the dark days of winter off. I too, hatch out a pullet mid summer, and fingers crossed, she is red-ed up, she is close to 4.5 months - but no egg yet, and I am thinking probably not until well after New Years.

There is a trick to adding light, to keep them laying, but if they stop before you add the light, I think it does not work for a long time??

MRs K

Back
Top Bottom