Chickens vs other pets

WyoChick1

Chirping
Mar 13, 2023
Wyoming
I'm sure this is already discussed elsewhere but my search skills are lacking right now. First time chick raiser and wondering, how do you introduce chickens to other animals for the first time? My sister says, "not until they're big!” haha!
I have several cats who I *think* will leave the chickens alone once they try to take on a full grown chicken. Two of them are afraid of the baby chicks already. And we have 1 dog who is a herding breed mix. I think we will appreciate that she keeps foxes and racoons away. But will she herself leave the chickens alone once they move outside to their fenced run? I don't know. Wondering what others have experienced? Thanks in advance.

Here is a recent thread on chickens and dogs
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dogs-and-chickens-reactivity.1568749/
With cats, when I first got chickens they were 13 or so weeks old pullets, and one of the cats did start going after them a few times.
Pretty soon got tired of them though, and now there isn't any problem.
I think they would catch and kill young chicks if they were by themselves, but with a broody hen they are 100% safe! lol (If you want to give your cat wings, and broody hen is the best place to start!)

My cats (I've always had outdoor cats) have always left my full grown chickens alone. They have very rarely stalked the pullets only to run off when the chickens started flapping and squawking. I have also brooded chicks in the garage and the cat has never bothered them although the neighbor cat did try to get a chick that got out of the run once. Dogs are a different story.

Back
Top Bottom