Chickens Watching Chicken Processing

I'm wondering how much of the concerns are reflections of our own feelings, as opposed to those of the birds.
To be entirely honest, I'd say most of them are. Chickens—I can't speak for other birds—don't seem to think about the future much. After a mink attack a few years ago that was an absolute bloodbath, I found one of the survivors unconcernedly picking at the bloody skull of one of the less fortunate. She waddled on in a peeved manner after I shooed her away in horror and started picking up the corpses.

Many of their reactions to events are dictated by how they perceive the event rather than what the event actually is. Animals in general have a kind of spotty perception of events that isn't always easy for a human to understand or see the pattern to. I certainly won't pretend that I can. Still, I'd be willing to bet that the day that I caught all my birds to treat them for scaly leg mites terrified them far more than butchering day. (The bruises I received on my hands and arms back my theory up.)

What causes a bird to react to a stimuli as threatening is quite interesting and not at all easy to put into words. I don't know enough or have enough certainty on what I have observed to be able to give any explanations without almost certainly being wrong on some or most of it.

To be entirely honest, I'd say most of them are. Chickens—I can't speak for other birds—don't seem to think about the future much. After a mink attack a few years ago that was an absolute bloodbath, I found one of the survivors unconcernedly picking at the bloody skull of one of the less fortunate. She waddled on in a peeved manner after I shooed her away in horror and started picking up the corpses.

Many of their reactions to events are dictated by how they perceive the event rather than what the event actually is. Animals in general have a kind of spotty perception of events that isn't always easy for a human to understand or see the pattern to. I certainly won't pretend that I can. Still, I'd be willing to bet that the day that I caught all my birds to treat them for scaly leg mites terrified them far more than butchering day. (The bruises I received on my hands and arms back my theory up.)

What causes a bird to react to a stimuli as threatening is quite interesting and not at all easy to put into words. I don't know enough or have enough certainty on what I have observed to be able to give any explanations without almost certainly being wrong on some or most of it.

You are assuming that people suggest hiding the processing based on what the *people* think. I did not anthropomorphize the birds with my response. I answered from the view of how a chicken might perceive of a predation act happening right in front of them....no worries about future thoughts (although it has been scientifically proven that chickens can think about future events and plan accordingly). I would err on the side of caution, and not needlessly risk stressing the birds right then. If the OP has the land, they might as well process the chickens out of sight.

Last edited:
I haven't processed birds yet, but I've thought about where to do it. I was thinking I'd process them elsewhere away from the bird yard to avoid drawing anything in (just one reason I had and didn't see posted here). I suppose as long as you cleaned everything up well you wouldn't have that problem. I did wonder if anyone had run into that, though!

I haven't processed birds yet, but I've thought about where to do it. I was thinking I'd process them elsewhere away from the bird yard to avoid drawing anything in (just one reason I had and didn't see posted here). I suppose as long as you cleaned everything up well you wouldn't have that problem. I did wonder if anyone had run into that, though!
I have the processing area out of the poultry yard thinking the blood would draw predators and I ran 600' of hose to wash the blood away... After my back gave out I quit dragging that hose. The blood pool never was touched... Eventually, the rain washed it away.
ETA to fix spell check

Last edited:
I have the processing area out of the poultry yard thinking the blood would draw predators and I ran 600' of hose to wash the a of years my bacoublood. After my back gave out I quit dragging that hose. The blood pool never was touched... Eventually, the rain washed it away.
I don't blame you. 600' of hose would be a pain! Thank you for sharing your experience, Molpet.

I really don't have another area to do the deed. I have a water font right next to the barn, the fence post for hanging the "restraining cone" is right there and there is electric in the barn to run the plucker. I usually gut and clean inside a building, where I can have heat - because I usually put it off until fall when it gets cold.
I'm pretty sure the chickens don't realize what I am doing to of one of their own. Once the bird is in the cone it is pretty well hidden from view. Although, my first batch was roosters, and the girls were probably cheering me on because they were a bunch of jerks.

They are not traumatized in the slightest. If you are pulling the birds you're butchering from the group you're doing it in front of, they get a bit upset basically as you're catching a bird, but once you walk out, they're back to not caring.

The sight and smell of blood does not traumatize them, they will eat their own flock mates if given half the chance.

Mine all line up on the side of the pen nearest where I process because they know I'll toss them the hearts and testicles.

It's a total non-issue. Chickens don't think in such a manner that they would watch a flock mate being butchered and have any thoughts of themselves being butchered. Friend turns to food real fast.

I am a little on the fence about this.. BUT .. I learned something that I think might help a little to make your own decision.
We have a little rooster ( banty/Serama X) he is the bestest Roo ever to his hens..
I always thought chickens are just plain dumb.. and have no feelings one way or the other.Until I hatched Pee Peep ( his name,obviously..lol) out in a Brooder.The temp was wrong and he had to have a bath after hatching cause his feathers where like concrete.( lesson learned) He was a house chicken until we got more girls for him.He perks up when he sees them, he shows them where he finds food and makes really pretty babies.He is super talkative and just very friendly.he also snuggles up to you when he is carried around and goes to sleep.He absolutely has feeling for his hens..I can tell by his reactions towards them.Is it just chicken beein ga chicken? I dont know.. perhaps.. ( us animal lovers get accused of putting sentient notions on animals )I like to think they have feelings and are are just as sad to see someone they are close to,die!!.. My 2 cents :)

I , for one, would just rather not see them stressed or sad.

Back
Top Bottom