Chickens will not sleep in coop at night

hconchola

Hatching
Dec 16, 2016
My chickens will not sleep in their coop at night. They sleep huddled up in the corner of the run, next to the house. Should I be concerned?

How old are they and how long have you had them? If you just moved them into a new coop and run it might take a while for them to figure out the coop is a better place to sleep. I had the same problem with my Black Copper Marans rooster and Blue Copper Marans hen. I moved them into the coop at night and locked them in and eventually they went in on there own.

They are about 9 months old (I'm actually fostering them while my BF gets settled into her new house, so I'll have them a few months). I've had them for a few weeks now. They are sexlinks and americauan. Do they need to sleep in a coop?

I had the same problem - tempt them in with bread? Mine do anything for bread!
Do not tempt them with bread.....Bread can Kill your Birds.....Sour Crop is also caused from eating breads.......

Just a Tip........
wink.png

Cheers!

They are about 9 months old (I'm actually fostering them while my BF gets settled into her new house, so I'll have them a few months). I've had them for a few weeks now. They are sexlinks and americauan. Do they need to sleep in a coop?
Where are you located?
Climate can make a difference.
What is the coop like...pics would help.
Do you have other birds?

I was having a problem with this with my new flock additions.

Couple possible things to look at:

1) Is it possible it's darker INSIDE the coop when it's bed time? I added a light to the coop on a timer and that fixed the problem right away.

2) have you "locked" them in the coop for a few days so they know this is "home"? Since you've only had them a few weeks my guess is they may not know you switched housing on them :)

Is the roost in the coop higher or lower than where they're trying to sleep in the run? They're going to try to go for the highest spot, usually, so if the highest place for them isn't inside the coop that might be part of the problem.

Back
Top Bottom