Chickens WILL NOT stop sneezing!

Myavia

Chirping
May 25, 2020
Hi!
I have 13 Silkies & 2 polishes in a horse stall (converted to coop) in the barn. The polish are in a smaller pen in the coop for now. I did not isolate quick enough when I noticed 1 or 2 hens sneezing almost 3 weeks ago. I ordered Tylan soluble (add it into water) and received it and now I’ve been administering it for about 12 days. The sneeze seemed to get better for a few days, and now it’s back to frequent.
Now I have chicks in my house who are sneezing too. I have been administering Tylan to them for about 10 days. Their sneeze has not gotten better.
What could be the reason they’re sneezing? Why hasn’t Tylan fixed it?
The sneeze is the only symptom of illness.

Infectious bronchitis virus might be a problem if ventilation of dust is not the problem. It is a virus that lasts about a month, and runs through most of the flock over weeks, and survivors are carriers for 5 months up to a year. So that means that any chicks hatched or new chicken added will get exposed. It does not respond to antibiotics. Mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG, coryza, ILT, and a couple of others can be common in chickens, but IBV is the mist common respiratory disease. If you should lose a chicken, send the bidy in to your state poultry vet for a necropsy and testing to get a diagnosis. Here is a good link about common diseases to read:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Is your coop dusty? What type of bedding are you using? Have you cleaned your coop recently? There are many causes to chickens sneezing and it is not always a disease. Are they showing any other symptoms besides sneezing? Like coughing? Or nasal discharge?

I use wood shavings both in the coop and in the brooder, but the chicks sneezing started when I was still using paper towel as bedding. I last cleaned out the coop beginning of January, and have since only added shavings not removed them. The barn isn’t very well ventilated. I will see if we can open a window in it today. Typically the end door is always open for the horses, but it’s been too cold out. Inside the house I just moved the chicks to a bigger room with a window which should be less dusty. Haven’t stopped sneezing though.
I haven’t noticed any coughing or nasal discharge. Sneezing among both groups, and I noticed one or two of the chicks started raspy breathing. One of my adult roosters had a bit of crust around his eye for a few days but it went away without treatment.
I’m not entirely sure how to determine if the coop is dusty. I don’t have any other coops to compare it to. But the brooder room was dusty.

Infectious bronchitis virus might be a problem if ventilation of dust is not the problem. It is a virus that lasts about a month, and runs through most of the flock over weeks, and survivors are carriers for 5 months up to a year. So that means that any chicks hatched or new chicken added will get exposed. It does not respond to antibiotics. Mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG, coryza, ILT, and a couple of others can be common in chickens, but IBV is the mist common respiratory disease. If you should lose a chicken, send the bidy in to your state poultry vet for a necropsy and testing to get a diagnosis. Here is a good link about common diseases to read:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Thank you so much for that link. I just read through all of it and I’m still not sure what it could be.

The chickens are sneezing, making noise while breathing, and have diarrhea. I had a chick die suddenly a week or two ago, but I believe it was before the sneezing started here.
My hens fertility has been bad for the past few weeks, but now it is much better. These chicks are from their eggs. The hens had also slowed down laying but are now going back to normal again. The sneeze in my chicken coop is starting to go away it seems like. But in the brooder there still isn’t much change. I’ve taken them off of Tylan now as it is expensive here and it didn’t seem to be making any difference.

I live in Canada, I’m not sure if getting a necropsy is possible.

Back
Top Bottom