chicken's wing skinned to the bone

Thank you, @MissChick@dee and @Kathy Golla! @sylviethecochin has really helped out by filling in everything I forgot and correcting me on the human analgesic.

@johnnyreno66 this is scary. It was scary for me, squatting in my bathtub at 4:30am with a bloody chicken. Do your best! Chickens can be surprisingly tough.

This is also fantastic advice. Get it at a pharmacy, it's the same stuff yellow stuff they rub on your arm when you get blood drawn. It doesn't irritate.
It’s a antibacterial wash. I love the way it drys. Sounds funny I know but it seals while it drys but the tissue can breath (does that make any sense?) it’s inexpensive and I just like it better than saline.

Hi there,
Your poor chicken is in a little bit of a rough spot! I'm sorry this happened to you and your bird. That certainly doesn't look nice.

First things, I'd cut away feathers from around the wound. They're going to have dirt and dust that carry microbes to get into the wound and infect it.

Second, I'd flush it with sterile saline. If that isn't available soap and warm water works too! I don't think hydrogen peroxide is a good idea in this situation, as it does damage to healthy tissue.
See if you can get some antibiotic ointment on that wound after cleaning and flushing it. Something without an analgesic ingredient (look on the box, make sure it DOESN'T have human pain relievers).
Consider picking up some Vetericyn antibacterial spray or blu-kote from a TSC or feed store near you. The blu-kote will sting and hurt, but I think its antibacterial and antifungal properties and ability to seal the wound are invaluable. If you're up for it, you can inject an antibiotic into her breast tissue or put it in her water to help ward off infection. I mix my own, but you can get an antibiotic suspension from a feed store.

Keep her inside inside a dog crate or plastic tote with soft bedding if you can. Keep her warm. She may not eat or drink for a day, but keep water and proteinaceous foods like boiled egg or canned tuna on offer. Remember that she's in shock and in pain.

To be honest, I am not sure if dressing the wound is going to be appropriate in this situation. Seems like it may do more harm than good, as taking it on and off to inspect the wound may stress the bird. In my experience, chickens can heal relatively quickly. Number one priority is to not let this wound get infected.
Thank you very much! I am trying all of your ideas. I will post my results...

Hi there,
Your poor chicken is in a little bit of a rough spot! I'm sorry this happened to you and your bird. That certainly doesn't look nice.

First things, I'd cut away feathers from around the wound. They're going to have dirt and dust that carry microbes to get into the wound and infect it.

Second, I'd flush it with sterile saline. If that isn't available soap and warm water works too! I don't think hydrogen peroxide is a good idea in this situation, as it does damage to healthy tissue.
See if you can get some antibiotic ointment on that wound after cleaning and flushing it. Something without an analgesic ingredient (look on the box, make sure it DOESN'T have human pain relievers).
Consider picking up some Vetericyn antibacterial spray or blu-kote from a TSC or feed store near you. The blu-kote will sting and hurt, but I think its antibacterial and antifungal properties and ability to seal the wound are invaluable. If you're up for it, you can inject an antibiotic into her breast tissue or put it in her water to help ward off infection. I mix my own, but you can get an antibiotic suspension from a feed store.

Keep her inside inside a dog crate or plastic tote with soft bedding if you can. Keep her warm. She may not eat or drink for a day, but keep water and proteinaceous foods like boiled egg or canned tuna on offer. Remember that she's in shock and in pain.

To be honest, I am not sure if dressing the wound is going to be appropriate in this situation. Seems like it may do more harm than good, as taking it on and off to inspect the wound may stress the bird. In my experience, chickens can heal relatively quickly. Number one priority is to not let this wound get infected.
I had a quick question. I am using the vetericyn to clean it, then hitting it with a couple squirts of betadine, then covering it with blu-kote, and lastly rubbing some neosprin on it. Is this overkill, is there one of these I should leave out? Or does that seem good?

I had a quick question. I am using the vetericyn to clean it, then hitting it with a couple squirts of betadine, then covering it with blu-kote, and lastly rubbing some neosprin on it. Is this overkill, is there one of these I should leave out? Or does that seem good?

You're certainly hitting it with everything you have! I'd like another member to chime in on this... but, blu-kote is going to be something that may seal and stick for a few days. I think your vetericyn-betadine-ointment regime is good. You may even be able to get away with two of the three.

How is the bird doing? Eating and drinking? How are you doing?

Can you post some updated photos of the wound?
How is her demeanor? Is she eating/drinking and alert?
Any signs of infection?

You can use the BluKote and/or Neosporin.

Back
Top Bottom