Chickens won’t go in at night.

pnwchicklvr

Chirping
Apr 22, 2018
Salem, OR
I’m new to BYC and a new chicken owner. I am enjoying raising and watching my girls (at least I think they’re girls ). I have 8 chicks that are 9 weeks old. I moved them into the hen house two weeks ago and kept them inside for a week. My problem is that they will not go inside at night. I’ve tried bribing them with treats by putting them on the ramp and putting a battery operated light inside. The hen house is raised off the ground with run space beneath. The first few days they hid underneath in the corner, so I’ve blocked that area off for now. When we built the coop, we put hardware cloth 2 feet deep around it and on the bottom of the entire run. I’m sure they would be safe at night if they stayed outside, but it’s still rather cold at night. The hen house has multiple roosts (which they don’t use) and has plenty of vents and windows. Any suggestions?

This is very common when they transition to the coop. Chicks raised by a hen should be led in and our at the right times.... in the absence of mama we must teach them what is right. Keep going out every evening as dusk is starting to settle, herd them into the coop and close ther door. Consistency is key and it may take another week or more, but .one might soon you'll look outside and see them putting themselves to bed

You can lock them in the coop for few days to couple of weeks, with feeds and water. Then gradually introduce them to the run, it seems to work better in training them to roost and lay eggs in the coop eventually. All my 30 hens tuck themselves in the coop near dusk, since being chicks.

This is very common when they transition to the coop. Chicks raised by a hen should be led in and our at the right times.... in the absence of mama we must teach them what is right. Keep going out every evening as dusk is starting to settle, herd them into the coop and close ther door. Consistency is key and it may take another week or more, but .one might soon you'll look outside and see them putting themselves to bed
Thanks. I Have 3 that will go, only to fly out a few minutes later. I figure eventually the rest will follow.

Lol. I feel your pain. I’m thinking they’re just so confused and don’t have a clue what they are “suppose” to do. Guess we just have to keep moving them inside until they get it.
Mine will get on the little ramp to the coop, then stop three steps in and jump off. I have tried putting a brick under it to make it less steep but it doesn't matter.

I have a mama hen that hatched 6 chicks. For a month she and the chicks always when in the coop at night. Now the last few nights she and the chicks have been trying to roost outside. I keep moving them in at night. HELP!!!

I got different age groups. The first group got it after the first couple nights. The younger ones started in the coop sleeping area during the day and in a carrier at night(so they all sleep together), then I moved them to the run of the coop with a gate. At first I was catching them to put them in the carrier to go to bed. Then one day I had the carrier there open and they all went in on their own. If they are still in the coop run and it's getting dark they get really nervous, almost frantic. Then they see their carrier and they run to it. I'm not sure how it's going to work when they are all together. I think they are going to still look for their carrier for a while. They definitely don't want to be outside once it gets dark.

Mine will get on the little ramp to the coop, then stop three steps in and jump off. I have tried putting a brick under it to make it less steep but it doesn't matter.

In the beginning my older ones didn't even use the ramp, they flew in from the ground. The rooster still does that sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom