Chickens wont go broody?

ArekE

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 21, 2014
I dont understand. I have all broody breeds except my RIR's and Sexlinks. And out of all of my time owning chickens i have only had 1 chicken(a Buff Orpington pullet) go broody who was then killed by my dog
somad.gif
. I have now 2 BO'S, 2 Wyandottes, 2 Cochins, 3 BR'S, 1 Russian Orloff, 1 Polish, 1 Light Brahma bantam, a Light Brahma, An Ameraucana, 2 RIR, And two BSL. Whats going on (at the moment they are molting)?

I will be getting silkies to accompany my two silkie roosters.

Not all birds within a so-called "broody" breed will go broody. It all depends on the individual bird. Many breeds (especially those from a hatchery) have had broodiness at least partly bred out of them.

Silkies are probably your best bet for a broody hen. But, you'll still find individuals in that breed that never go broody.

Last edited:
Not all birds within a so-called "broody" breed will go broody. It all depends on the individual bird. Many breeds (especially those from a hatchery) have had broodiness at least partly bred out of them.

Silkies are probably your best bet for a broody hen. But, you'll still find individuals in that breed that never go broody.
x2

You probably won't get a broody until Spring, although they can go broody during the Winter, it's not common. My Brahmas have never gone broody, even though the breed is prone to. My best broody is a Buff Rock! I would just be patient, if you want babies your best bet is probably an incubator. You'll get a broody eventually and it'll be worth the wait!!!

Some are 7 months the others are about 3 years. The BO that hatched chicks about 6 week are BO' and Barred Rock Buff Orpington crosses. I have an incubator but i dont really like to use it cause i like to see the momma raise them.

Although, i do think my Light Brahma thought about it one day but she was only on it for a couple hours.

I havnt been on this for a month. I still have no broodies i got so desperate for chicks i put some more in the incubator. Here in colorado we just got over a terrible cold spell and it left some of the roos witha little frost bite and very decreased egg production.

Back
Top Bottom