Chickens won't leave roost after an attack...

It won't do any good to talk to them. The other neighbors are their family and they can't get through to them. I will scare the living s*** out of that dog if it comes near hear again. If that doesn't work then maybe SSS. I don't like hurting animsls, but they've already been warned by their own family to contain their dogs.

i have an electric fence up and i had a problem with the neighbours dog. i had the fence switched off and he would harrass the girls, so when he came around again i waited until he was touching the fence and i switched the electric fence back on, he got zapped and has never came back. i only needed to do this once and he learned a very good lesson. i love all aniamls and would never harm them, but this was a lesson he needed to learn and the fence is not that strong as i have touched it a few times myself.

i have an electric fence up and i had a problem with the neighbours dog. i had the fence switched off and he would harrass the girls, so when he came around again i waited until he was touching the fence and i switched the electric fence back on, he got zapped and has never came back. i only needed to do this once and he learned a very good lesson. i love all aniamls and would never harm them, but this was a lesson he needed to learn and the fence is not that strong as i have touched it a few times myself.
If I was planning on long term chicken keeping, id look into more security measures like these. Since this will be my last flock and they probably have one more somewhat decent lay seaons next spring, it's just not in the cards or the budget. Really hoping my neighbor comes to pick them up, but they have a lot going on right now.
I'm still on the look out for the bad dog but he hasn't been back since chased off. My poor girls are still terrified and have to be coaxed out of the roost.

I've been letting them out the last couple of days but they won't come down and out unless I'm out there with them. I work all day today and tomorrow so I guess I'll just keep their coop closed and spend some time with them on my next day off. Never had an attack like this before, so I've never dealt with traumatized chickens.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of firearms but have multiple 'tools' available at my disposal for running off those kinds of varmints. IR Motion detection water driven sentry turret, IR motion sensor flood lights, motion sensing IR surveillance cameras, a high-power airsoft pistol with fast-biodegrade BBS (waiting on the Tommy Gun to arrive), and a full-on 2 watt laser pistol with frequency specific eye protection.

edit: Disclaimer - handheld laser weapons, even with proper eye protection, are stupid and dangerous not only to yourself but also to others who may not even be looking towards the discharge. The only reason *I* even have one is because there was this spider once, which was as big as my fist - and homey don't put up with that. (note: took 2 weeks to receive and assemble the parts. Spider was long gone, but I felt muuuuch better)

Last edited:
I have actually been trying to re-home them for about two months. I finally got them rehomed today. I loved my chickens and learned so much from them in the past two and a half years but I dont have the time I want to properly care for them and want them to have a safe and happy life.

Back
Top Bottom