chickens won't use ramp??

Quote:
I have found that silkies like heat longer than other breeds of chicks. Mine have even been shivering when the other breeds that age weren't.

Here is what happened to me:
I had some wonderful adult silkies. They lived in my shed coop after having been in a hutch, with no ramps. I wanted to move them out into the hutch again because I was trying to separate my large fowl from my bantams at the time.

They wouldn't go up the ramp to the hutch. I found them huddled on the ground in the dark. This is typical of silkies.

But they can be trained if you are persistent. I gave up and moved them back to the shed.

In terms of your situation, I wouldn't give up if you love your silkies. There are MANY people here who will say to my comments.."hey that's not my experience. Mine go up the ramp with no trouble after they figured it out."

I have read many accounts of this. Also many accounts of silkies who wouldn't use the ramp.

101147_house2.jpg

It's a good night when at chicken round up time, I scoop them up and they stay in the coop.

It's a really good night when at chicken round up time, I scoop them up, they fall back out, but they use the ramp to get back inside.

It will be an awesome night when I don't have to play chicken round up anymore.

So this may not be the healthiest option, but mini marshmallows work the best for my ladies... they totally freak out when I bring the bag out. For our guys and gals, we just shove them up the ramp... one of us is on each side with our arms up so that they dont try to jump or fall off. You can place the marshmallows on the ramp like Elliot in ET with the reeses pieces and hopefully they will go up. They figure it out eventually. My girls love the heat lamp and they are big girls. It is like yours, it only keeps it about 15-20 degrees warmer.

try extending the ramp to make in longer, less steep. Put the wood strips a little closer. You'll have to help them learn to go up. I kept at it for about a month. They were nearing 3 months before they all got it. I then got 2 5 month roos that never had a ramp at all. He learned very quick on his own because he had others to show him the way.

It took my silkies a while to figure out that they need to go up the ramp like the rest of the chickens at night. They'll figure it out on their own eventually. When I'd lock them up at night I'd set one of my girls at the bottom of the ramp and scoot them along until they were in the coop. I did the same with my second silkie who was doing the same thing. They eventually did it by themselves one night! I was so proud of them!

Back
Top Bottom