Chickenstock fiesta yardsale August 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
We would if we had a better place for them, my spare room is full
smile.png
Next year I will be home more during the day and can set up a couple of heated areas outside for them...

I started mine up again. Normally I wouldn't hatch this time of year but given how few blue favs are left I thought I should just in case something happens to one of mine.

Happy Thanksgiving day everyone!!
Turkey is in the oven, you know as i ws stuffing the turkey i kinda felt bad, i kept thinking of my turkeys
hmm.png
never felt like that before ever doing turkeys, then again this is my thanksgiving with my own live turkey in my back that i take care of.
roll.png

but then when i did the seasoing ammmmmmmmmm smells good.
tongue.png

Quote:
Happy Turkey Day to you and Jose and the family! Remember, stuff the turkey but dont get stuffed yourself! You need the energy to shop at 4am in the norning! LOL

Quote:
Happy Turkey Day to you and Jose and the family! Remember, stuff the turkey but dont get stuffed yourself! You need the energy to shop at 4am in the norning! LOL

Oh yay!! Walmart 5 am here i come, lol

Quote:

Hey Shay, I see they have a purple laptop in the sale flyer on line!! 248.00 (Acer brand) You better get in line there after dinner today! They are always so crowded. Dont get caught in the stampede of crazy shoppers!!!
wee.gif

Quote:

Hey Shay, I see they have a purple laptop in the sale flyer on line!! 248.00 (Acer brand) You better get in line there after dinner today! They are always so crowded. Dont get caught in the stampede of crazy shoppers!!!
wee.gif

i KNOW, I AM GETTING THE ez-mACHINE LAPTOP FOR $198.00 IT BURNS CD AND DVD. WOOHOO

happy Thanksgiving everyone!

my only black friday shopping is going to consist of going to Blue Seal since they have a good coupon in their flier and lots of stuff i need to stock up on! and Tractor Supply where they have some even better prices on BOSS and some stuff i want to check out! plus, my mom wants to see what they are all about!
tongue.png

Let me get some oppinions on this situation with my coop and what I have in it and weather it is too cold.
Coop measures 6x9 feet and is a peaked roof. All 4 sides are insulated with plywood interior walls, roof is shingled. Ceiling is not insulated but roof is shingled. I have a couple of bales of shavings and bins of feed in there. There are 3 roosting bars at different levels and I keep a thick layer of shavings on the floor. The door for them to go out is approx. one and a half square feet and is closed at dusk. Coop has 2 windows closed for winter.

Now for birds in there I have 16 small bantams and 3 regular size hens. My bantams are a variety of modern games, serama's, silky, and a couple of mixed breed hens. Also 4 cochins in the total. Most of them roost on the highest perches, but some of the smalles ones roost on the lowest. What temperature do you think is too low for them? The coop is just about draft free, but I am afraid at what point I should put a heat source in there and at the same time do not want to make them dependant on heat. I was reading somewhere that we tend to baby our chickens too much when you consider the extremes their wild bird counterparts tolerate. Any advise woud be great! Thanks!

ETA: I also have a free range flock of 6 mixed breed bantams that live in a dog house that is 4x6 and not insulated and they have been living in that for 3 years with no heat source and do fine. I guess my concern is that some of the other banties are from warmer climates originally in their heritage. (the moderns and the seramas)

Last edited:
Darbella,
16 sounds like a good number. You didnt mention if it is all hens or if there are some roosters present? I have never heated my coop,and have never had a problem. I find if your chickens have plenty of room to be active during the day, then they should be fine at night as long as you keep your coop very dry, and of course draft free. But the number matters too. I always make sure everyone has at least a partner to roost with at night. And rooster or hens with big combs i monitor closely and use petroleum jelly if i feel they are to cold. I have only had to bring them inside once for a couple days when the weather was close to the single digits.

Also my opinion on heated coops is they actually do more harm then good. Going into a heated coop at nigh compared to the freezing cold outside can actually deplete there immune system and make them less healthy. I have heard this from a couple good sources but not sure myself since i have never heated.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom