Chickenstock fiesta yardsale August 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like bats, but not in the house! Have you figured out how they're getting in?

Chickie'sMoma :

could they be trying to protect their girls or are they just suddenly attacking? i'm hoping my boy Pixwell will be good to his girls he now has in with him and not start showing any aggression towards me. he's been a little aloof when it comes to trying to pick him up lately. he used to let me pick him up all the time! his dad is still sweet to me so i don't see any reason he should become aggressive.

was Sammy from the Hat Trick lines too? or someone else lines?

They're attacking, not protecting. The black one came at me last year but stopped after a "discussion". Last week he went for me when all I was trying to do was clean their waterer. He still tries to get at me when my back is turned (he can't because of the wire). Enough is enough.

Sammy is a Hattrick roo. Doesn't bother me, hasn't gone after Katherine but has dropped a wing at her. He goes at Jonathan from UNDER the coop while he's checking for eggs. Got his shins good 2 weeks ago. Luckily he didn't use his new, sharp spurs. He stays well out of my way though.​

shay said
"Reminder for the hot weather, The heat can be hurtful for poultry and other animals dureing travel..... Frozen water for the trips, you can refreeze them at my house in the freezer.....Please keep fresh water for your animals that you are bringing..."

so, i'm a newbie...i need to know about chicken transportation in hot weather: do i need to figure out a way to give my roo water during the one-hour car ride out there? suggestions? i *think* i get it that the frozen water bottles are NOT to drink...just air conditioning (but i envision one clobbering my poor roo in transit) but DO i need to make sure he has water for during the trip?

thanks!

Quote:
He'll be fine for the ride. Just bring a waterer or bowl to fill up for him while you're at Shay's.

Shay, i have transformed the little bantam coop that Jose made and sold to us last year. It's one he made from some kind of crate, with a roof that lifts up for easy people-access to clean, collect eggs, etc. I added a nest box and roost inside the house, and then i built an attached run to the outside, with an access panel for the outside part. I could not figure out how to fit the food and water dishes inside with the nest box and roost (i don't want the birds pooping in them while they roost).....so in the end i made two little platforms attached to the outside of the house, one either side of the ramp/door, and each is just big enough to comfortably hold a 1 quart water dish or food dish. The best part is that my access panel is plywood and completely shelters the food and water dishes, plus provides some outdoor shade for the birds. The access panel under-laps the roof of the house, and i used hook latches to latch the roof down, which in turn will prevent opening the access panel. I have had great success with those child-safety hook-n-eye latches----never had an animal figure out how to unlatch them! Oh, and i added toy-box braces to the roof of the house and the outside access panel, so that they will stay propped open while you clean, collect eggs, or fill food and water.
I can't wait to show you photos---i printed some to bring with me tomorrow!
smile.png

Quote:
We get one a year in the house. We have several fireplaces and even with the caps on them, they find a way to get in. We have even had flying squirrels in here before and they are harder to catch!

Quote:
if you are ever concerned with traveling with your birds and watering them i would suggest getting some watermelon. vs. the water it stays solid and will not spill much over the place if it gets tipped over. it is also a good way to keep chickens hydrated in very hot/humid weather while making sure they eat something.

That's one naughty gander you have there! He remembered me when I walked by on the way back to the car. Ran up to me hissing and followed me to the car door. I guess he wasn't happy "his" girls were leaving!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom