Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

Another YES for the Collie. I've had them and worked with them and well bred ones are calm and intuitive of their handler's needs, once past the puppy stage.

There is a website for the American Working Collie Association that has stories of the many jobs collies can do. In particular, this story of an assistance collie is relevant to your situation and appeared in our breed magazine. It is just so touching:

http://www.awca.net/freqflier.htm

And the rest of Cole's story:
http://www.awca.net/cole.htm

By the way, I have not found collies to be particularly barky as far as herding breeds go. Farm collie types, yes, Shelties doubly YES (which is what I have now), but not collies.
Thank you!

How’s the puppy doing @CHlCKEN ?
Sorry I missed this
She’s doing great, and she’s already amazing at the sit command. I’ve never met a dog who can pick up on things as quickly as she does. I think she’s gonna be fun to train.

I’m hoping to do agility stuff with her but course supplies are SO expensive. Does anyone know of affordable or DIY equipment?

I have a question... why did my (older sisters) mini poodle decide to break into the pantry and chew open a bag of sugar, and leave the contents scattered on the floor?
Probably boredom- poodles are highly intelligent dog breed and need lots of mental and physical exercise. Try using puzzle feeders for meals and training throughout the day.

Sorry I missed this
She’s doing great, and she’s already amazing at the sit command. I’ve never met a dog who can pick up on things as quickly as she does. I think she’s gonna be fun to train.

I’m hoping to do agility stuff with her but course supplies are SO expensive. Does anyone know of affordable or DIY equipment?
You can DIY with PVC pipe- search “pvc agility equipment” and lots of YouTube videos will come up. You shouldn’t be doing full agility with her until she’s older, though- it’s not good for her joints. Focus on gaining voice control over her and socializing her to as many surfaces as possible, including unstable ones to help her balance. Also work on rear end awareness.

You can DIY with PVC pipe- search “pvc agility equipment” and lots of YouTube videos will come up. You shouldn’t be doing full agility with her until she’s older, though- it’s not good for her joints. Focus on gaining voice control over her and socializing her to as many surfaces as possible, including unstable ones to help her balance. Also work on rear end awareness.
Obviously I’ll be waiting until she’s older. I don’t even let her jump down from the couch on her own yet haha.

How do you train a fierce Jack Russell to come when called and not bark at other dogs?
Coming when called is easier, barking at other dogs is more complicated.
The easiest way is to say '[dog], come!' and feed the dog a high value treat. Do this several times a day for a few days. Then, take a step back before giving your cue, so the dog has to move to get the treat. Do this several times a day, for a few days. Rinse and repeat- keep adding distance until your dog is coming across the house. Once they get the hang of it, you can add distance in bigger chunks, but start with small steps.

For barking- is it inside? Is it on leash? Is it in the yard? Is it accompanied by lunging, growling, or snapping? Does your dog switch between barking and acting scared?

Back
Top Bottom