Chicks act hungry but refuse to eat anything I give them.

It's simply in the environment. In some ways keeping the set up too clean works against you on this, as early exposure to moderate amounts of the coccidiosis parasite in the environment can help build up immunity so they don't get overwhelmed by it later.

Wet conditions can contribute to higher parasite loads as well.
I was thinking about the too clean environment thing as well but I’m not entirely sure that would be the reason. They have a 12x12 outdoor run area that they have access to all day everyday and it even has a dedicated dirt pit that I filled with soil for them to take dirt baths in (they’ll eventually be free ranged with the rest of my flock). The only things I worry about keeping clean is the inside of their shack where they sleep and their food and water containers.

I’ve used the same system every time one of my family members brings me chicks to raise and I’ve never had issues until now. It has me quite annoyed but I’m grateful that it’s at least under control now.

If the wet conditions were the main contributor, is there anything I can do if I get more chicks in the future in the same type of weather?

I’ve used the same system every time one of my family members brings me chicks to raise and I’ve never had issues until now.
Could be the chicks brought it with them, how old were they and where did they come from?

Is the wheat you feed them whole grains or....?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1691675657336.png

If you look at the label on your layer feed, is wheat included as an ingredient? If it is, I would stop adding it to their diet. The commercial feed is both balanced and complete. Anything you add makes it less so.
I only used the layer feed in a desperate attempt to get them to eat something. While I will eventually switch them over to the layer feed, it’s not a part of their current regular diet. Thank you for the advice, though :)
Could be the chicks brought it with them, how old were they and where did they come from?

Is the wheat you feed them whole grains or....?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3604945
Thank you for the tip on setting up my location ^ - ^ I just finished doing so.

The chicks were bought on clearance at a local feed store and were about 1-2 weeks old. As for where the store got them from, I’m unsure. I’d have to ask my older brother and father as they’re the ones who bought them and they’d know more about it than me. The chicks had been perfectly healthy and I didn’t have any losses until this coccidiosis outbreak last week. My family has bought many other chicks from the same store with no issue so this was quite the freak incident.

If the wet conditions were the main contributor, is there anything I can do if I get more chicks in the future in the same type of weather?
Tossing in more litter could help to bury or mix up fecal matter to dilute the distribution of it so the birds aren't intaking as much when they peck at the ground. Otherwise it's really probably easiest to keep an eye out for it and treat it if it pops up.

Tossing in more litter could help to bury or mix up fecal matter to dilute the distribution of it so the birds aren't intaking as much when they peck at the ground. Otherwise it's really probably easiest to keep an eye out for it and treat it if it pops up.
That makes sense. I don’t mean to bug you but would you know what type of litter is best?

That makes sense. I don’t mean to bug you but would you know what type of litter is best?
There's no one "best" option, it depends on climate, availability of materials, management plan...

I use deep litter because we have an abundance of organic matter (everything from wood chips from our own trees, dried leaves in fall, dried grass in summer, garden trimmings) and we have a lot of rain, so drainage and mud control is key for me.

There's no one "best" option, it depends on climate, availability of materials, management plan...

I use deep litter because we have an abundance of organic matter (everything from wood chips from our own trees, dried leaves in fall, dried grass in summer, garden trimmings) and we have a lot of rain, so drainage and mud control is key for me.
That actually sounds perfect! I live in a heavily wooded area so this should be pretty easy to start doing. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom