Chicks are coming!!!!

They finally arrived, my cute little balls of peeping fuzz have arrived
20190522_091004.jpg

Hello all! I've been a member of byc for over a year now I believe. But never ventured past the duck pages. I've had ducks for a few years now, I manly raise Welsh harlequins. And this year on out homestead we decided to incorporate a mobile chicken coop in the cow pasture! They are shipping out to us this week! We are building a justin Rhodes chickshaw style mobile coop. And will have 17-20 (the buff orpington are for my grandpa if he wants them) chickens. Heres what I ordered. I was going for a colorful egg basket. I'm excited to join the chicken people group lolView attachment 1782341
How did your chickshaw build go? And I love the egg graphics you posted!

How did your chickshaw build go? And I love the egg graphics you posted!
Its turning out great, we had most of the lumber, he says it will cost $700 to build we have spent about #350, with $130 of that being the wheels! They are solid rubber so wont go flat and I thought that was worth it. Were about halfway done. We have been busy adding pigs to the homestead too, at the same time lol. Right now the chicks are in this awesome brooder my husband built it be disassembled and stacked against a wall. It's like this one on YouTube but larger. We did it 6'x3'

FB_IMG_1559581672023.jpg
20190531_101906.jpg

Its turning out great, we had most of the lumber, he says it will cost $700 to build we have spent about #350, with $130 of that being the wheels! They are solid rubber so wont go flat and I thought that was worth it. Were about halfway done. We have been busy adding pigs to the homestead too, at the same time lol. Right now the chicks are in this awesome brooder my husband built it be disassembled and stacked against a wall. It's like this one on YouTube but larger. We did it 6'x3'

View attachment 1800005View attachment 1800008
Wow that is a nice brooder too! The chickshaw is looking good! Ours is coming along as well. We are doing the mini version. I’ll post some photos when it is looking a bit more put together. Right now it is half painted- not so pretty! We have our electric netting and will get that set up next week to make sure we figure out any kinks. My biggest worry is aerial predation. We have all of them- eagles, hawks, owls. Yikes. Hope all goes well with your pigs too! We’re looking at getting a couple of Kiko goats for brush help and a cow to graze my pastures and so my chickens will have a job!

Wow that is a nice brooder too! The chickshaw is looking good! Ours is coming along as well. We are doing the mini version. I’ll post some photos when it is looking a bit more put together. Right now it is half painted- not so pretty! We have our electric netting and will get that set up next week to make sure we figure out any kinks. My biggest worry is aerial predation. We have all of them- eagles, hawks, owls. Yikes. Hope all goes well with your pigs too! We’re looking at getting a couple of Kiko goats for brush help and a cow to graze my pastures and so my chickens will have a job!
Awsome! Cant wait to see you mini-chicshaw! I'll have to look into those kiko goats. I've often kinda joked/ kinda serious told my husband that I was gonna get two pygmy goats to put in the yard for weed control. We have an invisible fence for our dog and it spans about 5 acres. I wonder If i can put the collars on the goats and train them to the fence? I dont know nothing about goats. Would they really try and eat a car tire?

Awsome! Cant wait to see you mini-chicshaw! I'll have to look into those kiko goats. I've often kinda joked/ kinda serious told my husband that I was gonna get two pygmy goats to put in the yard for weed control. We have an invisible fence for our dog and it spans about 5 acres. I wonder If i can put the collars on the goats and train them to the fence? I dont know nothing about goats. Would they really try and eat a car tire?
Lol, no, from what I have read they are a bit more finicky than what I always heard! They will however eat blackberry brambles, which we have tons of! Not to mention poison oak.

Welcome neighbor! We are right up the road in Pike County. (Unless you’re in Morrow County, not Morrow town, then we are a little further away!)

You’re going to have a colorful flock. Hope everyone arrived healthy.

How awsome! I've had one chick die, it was one of the buff orpington that I ordered for my grandpa. So I'm think of getting a few more chicks for him. Cause I just have two for him now :hmm

Back
Top Bottom