Chicks are dying 2 dead one left, WHY?

fandoo

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
Hello,

My daughter hatched chicks for her science fair project and out of six eggs three hatched! two of them are dead.. one day apart from each other. The first one hatched on March 31 and the second one on April 1. Third one is still alive but a bit week. Why did they die? is it because children were touching alot? or they didn't have enough heat? or proper food? we were giving them flex seeds. and vinegar water. Any tips to save the third chick would help. Thanks.

Maybe you should give them plain water or a little sugar water. Do you have a lightbulb or some kind of warmth source? What do you have them in?
I'm not sure what flex seeds are, maybe give them some hard boiled egg crumbles or something else. If they are distress peeping that usually means they are cold
hungry or thirsty.

Do you mean Flax seeds? Chicks need a balanced diet. Unless you know how to mix your own balanced chick food, you will need to feed it chick starter feed. Until you go to the store to get that, feed a bit of hard boiled smashed egg. Try some plain water. What temperature is the brooder at chick level?

Also, go to the top of this page and click on Learning Center. You will find Chicks 101 which is a good place to learn about chicks prior to raising them.

And welcome to BYC.

yes we have a 50 watt light bulb about a foot high above the cardboard box. we have pine chips on the bottom. we will try the boiled eggs tomorrow. What happens if the chick is alone? can they survive alone or need more chicks?
Thanks for your reply.

A 50 watt bulb may not be producing enough heat. They need it about 95 degrees at their level. You can get a brooder thermometer at the feed store that will also let you know what temps to reduce the heat to as the chick ages. Chicks do better as part of a flock or you could put a mirror in with it at this point.

Chicks also need food and water available 24/7. Is it possible that you could give it some egg tonight?

Have you checked for pasty butt? Are the poops normal?

Last edited:
Yay Chicks! :

Do you mean Flax seeds? Chicks need a balanced diet. Unless you know how to mix your own balanced chick food, you will need to feed it chick starter feed. Until you go to the store to get that, feed a bit of hard boiled smashed egg. Try some plain water. What temperature is the brooder at chick level?

hmmm I guess my daughter did all her research to find out how to maintain the incubator and not much on how to take care of the chicks. I also didn't realize until two died. Yes flax seeds. we didn't check the temperature of the box.​

They are social animals. I wouldnt wait till tomorrow, maybe put a little sugar in the water
tonight and bread crumbs or whatever you had for dinner tonight in little pieces if it's not too
greasy. Small children are usually too rough with chicks unsupervised.

Yay Chicks! :

A 50 watt bulb may not be producing enough heat. They need it about 95 degrees at their level. You can get a brooder thermometer at the feed store that will also let you know what temps to reduce the heat to as the chick ages. Chicks do better as part of a flock or you could put a mirror in with it at this point.

Chicks also need food and water available 24/7. Is it possible that you could give it some egg tonight?

Have you checked for pasty butt? Are the poops normal?

No I can't give tonight as the last one is gone to visit the aunt, my daughter's friend. The number two(sprite) died after the number three (peep) left to visit the aunt.
I will call next morning and ask her to feed him that. mirror is a great idea. I was even thinking of ordering a couple newborn chicks. we do have a thermometer and will check when the chick comes back. I am not sure about the poops.

Thanks.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom