Chicks are lost in the mail. :( USPS has no idea where they are.

ever so sorry to those that have missing boxes of chicks or have gotten their chicks finally but have lost some or all due to usps screwing up. i would be so mad and broken hearted if something like this happened to the chicks i bought

i had a box of 15 chicks ship out from Ideal Poultry on Feb 19th and they arrived the morning of the 20th just like they always have when i've ordered from Ideal..it was pretty cold at night here but very nice during the day that week and for that i'm very glad..all my 15 girls arrived safe and active and ready to get out of the box and into their brooder and have been growing like weeds.

my 11 girls that are left(sold 4 as i only plan on keeping 5) will be 2 weeks old on wednesday.

i really hope all you guys get your chicks and that their not in to bad of shape

I was going to order some to have them arrive this week. I pushed it out until mid April. I just don't want to take the chance with how cold it has been. This thread makes me glad I did.

I ordered back in November. I was SO sure the weather would be warmer than this. Post Office called this morning at 6:40am. When I went to pick them up it was 27F outside. Out of my order, 4 have died. It could be worse! I'm sad that all 4 that died, were individual breeds I had picked though. RIP little ancona, sultan, polish and fayoumis. One of the surviving chicks seemed peakish, I gave it some Nutri-Drench when I got them home. Hopefully we have no more losses.

Nutri-drench--is that the same as Sav-a-chick? A powder that you put in their water? Or do you dropper it into them? I'm awaiting some chicks by mail due to arrive mid-April in Utah. I'm getting really worried about having to revive them! Advice anyone?

I ordered back in November. I was SO sure the weather would be warmer than this. Post Office called this morning at 6:40am. When I went to pick them up it was 27F outside. Out of my order, 4 have died. It could be worse! I'm sad that all 4 that died, were individual breeds I had picked though. RIP little ancona, sultan, polish and fayoumis. One of the surviving chicks seemed peakish, I gave it some Nutri-Drench when I got them home. Hopefully we have no more losses.

So glad you got your babies. It's heartbreaking for all of us to think of little ones lost in the mail. Whether they are ours or not!
It's really sad that you lost several of them but we hope for the best with the rest of them.
hugs.gif

Nutri-drench--is that the same as Sav-a-chick? A powder that you put in their water? Or do you dropper it into them? I'm awaiting some chicks by mail due to arrive mid-April in Utah. I'm getting really worried about having to revive them! Advice anyone?
Prolly push out the date.. as im from utah i wouldnt have them delievered there until the end of may.. cause even around easter there is snow.. but thats just me... i lived in logan.. so im giving you my personal word of advice.. call them and ask to push out the date if they can.

Nutri-Drench is some vitamin supplement, I think it has molasses in it. I've never had success reviving a chick that was on it's side, but some that were lethargic, faces down, have come around. I got it from TSC for about $7. I drop it on their beaks if they look really poorly, or in the water diluted for all the other chicks.

Wishing I had pushed out the date.
My chicks hatched on Friday (2/28) and were shipped USPS Sat. (3/1)12:27am. The last scan was in St. Paul, MN. (Departed (3/2) sometime after between (5am-8am)
We went to the PO yesterday, nothing. Woke up at 2am this morning praying for an email telling me they were in Nashville, again nothing. Called the 800 number for USPS and after 5min of telling a stupid computer that I wanted customer service I was put on hold for 45min no one ever answered. Had the Hubby swing by the PO, still nothing. Called the 800 number again was on hold nearly 30 min and finally someone answered. The lady was very nice and understanding of the urgency of finding these chicks. I was emphatic about the fact that today is D day for my chicks. If I don't get them today they will die. The most she could do though was give a case number and that they would investigate and that with my order being live animals (baby chicks). They may get back to me today.
This is so disheartening! I have been looking forward to getting my babies for 2 months now. And although I know that it's not McMurray's fault I very well may not order from there again just because I've seen quite a few sad stories about USPS employees in that area unable to provide a safe delivery system. Think it may be best in the future for me to find someone mor local.

My chicks hatched on Friday (2/28) and were shipped USPS Sat. (3/1)12:27am. The last scan was in St. Paul, MN. (Departed (3/2) sometime after between (5am-8am)
We went to the PO yesterday, nothing. Woke up at 2am this morning praying for an email telling me they were in Nashville, again nothing. Called the 800 number for USPS and after 5min of telling a stupid computer that I wanted customer service I was put on hold for 45min no one ever answered. Had the Hubby swing by the PO, still nothing. Called the 800 number again was on hold nearly 30 min and finally someone answered. The lady was very nice and understanding of the urgency of finding these chicks. I was emphatic about the fact that today is D day for my chicks. If I don't get them today they will die. The most she could do though was give a case number and that they would investigate and that with my order being live animals (baby chicks). They may get back to me today.
This is so disheartening! I have been looking forward to getting my babies for 2 months now. And although I know that it's not McMurray's fault I very well may not order from there again just because I've seen quite a few sad stories about USPS employees in that area unable to provide a safe delivery system. Think it may be best in the future for me to find someone mor local.
I Ordered mine from chickensforbackyards.com ... we will see how it goes they ship monday

Ok, you need a small bottle of Poultry Drench. About 7.00 at Tractor Supply. If they don't have any
you can use Goat Nutri-Drench Or Pet Nutri-Drops ( for small pet under 25 lbs. and newborns). These products are mainlined into the bloodstream
and don't need digesting. If your chicks can be saved upon arrival, these products will do it. See the
BYC thread in this forum called" How To Deal With Travel Stress In Baby Chicks".
No, Nutri-Drench is different from Sav-A- Chick. PND is patented. http://www.jefferspet.com/images/label/16796.htm
http://nutridrench.com/poultry-1.html
One drop per chick by mouth as needed. Then put in their drinking water as directed.
Best,
Karen in western PA, USA

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom