Chicks aren't thriving

4HMomma

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
Nebraska
I have 2 of 11 chicks that are just not doing well. At first I just thought they were smaller than the RIR chicks and a bit less active, but now I have decided that's not it. I have 3 hamburg chicks, now its quite obvious that the 2 in question are smaller, weak, and quite lethargic. I have seperated the two, I have electrolytes, vitamins and antibiotics in the water. Since adding the stuff to the water one of them seems to be perking up a bit, but the other is still very down. They both drank for almost 2 mins when I put the mix in. They have normal poo, except they both had some stuck to thier butts. Is there anything else I can do for these two? The one that is acting better is eating fine now, but the other one sleeps and wobbles around to the water then sleeps again, no eating. Any idea what is wrong with them? I worry that maybe the other chicks weren't sharing and these two got pushed off the feed. Help please.

Oh, almost forgot, they both have an upright stance compared to the other hamburg as well as almost dragging the wings.

If they have pasty butt that's a problem too.

I use a tablespoon of ACV in a quart of water and grind the feed finer than staright out of the bag. Also you need to clean their little buts. Try a little warm water on a paper towel and lossen it and pick it off gently.

Pasty butt can cause them to become weak.

I have cleaned their poor little bums. I checked for mites/lice and didn't see anything. What can I do about the pasty butt? Ideas why these two are so much smaller than their same age same breed counter part? They are 2 weeks old. On a pleasant note, I have bantam white rocks hatching as we speak, the phoenix's should be making an appearance soon too. Tomorrow is day 21.

Thanks guys. I lost one overnight. The other is doing great though. I am getting funny looks from hubby as I sit with my pestal grinding already ground chick feed. I raised the lamp a bit as per the link. I lost a healthy chick last night in the "well" brooder. That concerns me too, but I suppose time will tell.

To clear up pasty butt give then a hunk of grass still attached to the roots and soil. Find a place in your yard that has never seen pesticides or fertilizers. With a trowel or shovel cut a 6 inch diameter circle of grass. Leave at least 1 inch of dirt attached.

Put this in with the chicks and it will cure the pasty butt. They will peck at it and eat small things they find. That's what they are supposed to do.

All this is making me nervous for the two day-old chicks I brought home. (I've only had mama hatch chicks before, and she doesn't need direction from me!) These two are my "trial" kids from the feed store as I am getting 9 more "fancy chicks" in a few days and wanted to be sure I knew what to do. ANYWAY, how long will the threat of pasty butt be prevalent? I never even thought about this with mama hen caring for chicks, so am not clear on the danger. It is just when they switch over from absorbing the yolk to "real feed"? So maybe the first week? And should I have been watching for this when chicks are with mama hen? I've never given chicks the ACV in their water--do they need it if I'm changing the water daily?

I love your suggestion, purpletree23...that is for sure what mama does! Indeed I have been surprised by mamahen taking the kids out for short forages as young as 12 days old (when I open the door of the "broody coop" and let her do her thing...) By 17-18 days she has them out free ranging in the orchard a bit!

So, suggestions I see here are to 1. grind the MED chick started a bit finer 2. give a chunk of the outside for them to peck at.

Two Speckled Sussex chicks
65263_2-a0852c26-1297867-800.jpg

Back
Top Bottom