Chicks ate rat poison

Thanks, I wish I could keep her out. As soon as I graduate I’m taking my chickens and leaving but until then I can’t do much. Considering they all had a very small dose I’m holing they’ll be ok

I'm very sorry that you are in a bad situation:hugs This sounds like a family matter - is there a way to come to a mutual agreement or do you have another family member or friend that would be willing to house your chickens until you can find a better solution.

@sumi made a good point - it won't hurt to give them a flush. The vitamin K suggested by @Fairview01 would be helpful as well - hopefully they can tell you the dosage - you can find vitamin K at places like WalMart or CVS.
Here's a list of flushes http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal

My friends Birds became ill and started dying...She then found the sacks this type of poison comes in...They were tossed into her Run...Her Birds were too far gone....
:hit:mad: We had 1 dog that was poisoned and another one later that was beaten with our own baseball bat. Unfortunately we had no idea who did it either time. There's something wrong with these people.

For activated charcoal mix 1 tsp of the charcoal powder (it can be purchased loose or you can remove it from capsules) with 8 oz. pure water. Dose the bird 6 - 8 times daily with as much as you can get them to take. The way charcoal works is that it absorbs toxins so that they can't be absorbed into the system and they are removed in the droppings. Dropping will be very dark or black with the charcoal. The sooner you start after suspected poisoning the better. It is worth a try for sure.
The link Wyorp Rock gave you is same dosage. The other two flushes work just as flushes, to flush out the system quickly. As the link said, they can all be dehydrating, so make sure they are drinking well and getting plenty of fluids. Good luck.

I'm very sorry that you are in a bad situation:hugs This sounds like a family matter - is there a way to come to a mutual agreement or do you have another family member or friend that would be willing to house your chickens until you can find a better solution.

@sumi made a good point - it won't hurt to give them a flush. The vitamin K suggested by @Fairview01 would be helpful as well - hopefully they can tell you the dosage - you can find vitamin K at places like WalMart or CVS.
Here's a list of flushes http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal
Thanks, I will try that

Back
Top Bottom