Jan 5, 2023
Story:

So I go outside to check on my flock since I’m kind of traumatized (more paranoid than traumatized) to make sure the previous incident doesn’t happen😢, and I check on all: they’re good, I think till I was about to leave but I think why not check my solo quail buddies (have been trying to buy him pals(his previous friends died from, I don’t even know myself, it was strange they are up high and enclosed (foreshadowing))). So yeah I check on him with my phone light and see this HUGE, not exaggerating GINORMOUS, GIGANORMOUS, TRINORMOUS🤯 (ALL THE NORMOUSES) It was a pesky rat not a rat I usually see though, this a__hole is a full on foot hotdogs length, he must’ve eaten something nice because he was … but yeah I though I got him cornered till he escapes through a wire (how does his ginormous a— fit?!) I check and I think, he must’ve chewed it, or something(FS*). Anyways I check my quail hoping he didn’t kill him, and see that my buddy was left with 2 spots of blood coming off like tear length, am so happy I chose to go out at that time. I bring him side immediately using a rat trap to secure him, and bring him to my room, this honestly explains so much, as to why he would get so scared from me trying to get him, when before he would cuddle, I think that little devil had been to his villa before, and I’m not here for it :he:mad:. So I clean him up and place him in a 15 inch x 15 inch container to have him heal.

Help:

This is where I need help, I hope he didn’t get a disease of course but is he blind?????? He keeps his eyes closed and when they’re open they look teary and like light gray? I hope he makes it, but also don’t want him suffering and struggling (can’t deal with that again unless I have to (last post)). Also I think he is traumatized (more than me) he is like shaking and standing in place when I grab him he starts trying to bounce and fly, but then calms down and cuddles when I lightly start petting him. Please help, not super urgent but need help!

Also how would you recommend me get rid of them? I would prefer them just dying immediately (no suffering to those things either) but I also kind of don’t want to use a Vector Spring Trap as I don’t want my chickens getting their foot caught and me not being there fast enough to get it off before their toe loses its nerves, I have seen the zap killers but am worried about it zapping a chick or feathered friend (like a silky)

Pictures:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 180
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 16
Poor buddy. I’m more of a chicken person but here are my thoughts:
- You can give him some sugar water by dropper for shock.
- Flush his eyes with saline.
- Spray something like Vetericyn on his wounds.

I’ve dealt with rats before. I used a cage trap and drowned them. Didn’t put the traps where chicks could access. We also built a wooden box with snap traps inside … where the rat had to venture up a little corridor to get to the trap… so wouldn’t approach from the side and risk an unclean kill… it was sort of like a horse stable. The cage was more effective.

Let's hope he is just traumatized. Is the light brighter than he is use to?
I hope so too, my previous quails had gotten mauled in the head and had a hole I didn’t. Want them suffering so I sadly had to …

I had put him next to my young chicks not in there with them but next to their container and I have the light for them, but I’m pretty sure somewhere I have a red light do you think that would be better for him?

Poor buddy. I’m more of a chicken person but here are my thoughts:
- You can give him some sugar water by dropper for shock.
- Flush his eyes with saline.
- Spray something like Vetericyn on his wounds.

I’ve dealt with rats before. I used a cage trap and drowned them. Didn’t put the traps where chicks could access. We also built a wooden box with snap traps inside … where the rat had to venture up a little corridor to get to the trap… so wouldn’t approach from the side and risk an unclean kill… it was sort of like a horse stable. The cage was more effective.
Okay thank you so much! I don’t think I have Vetericyn, I ran out a week ago Can something like ice help? Or Vic’s, Vaseline? I had previously used to capture them and drown them too, was asking because I wasn’t sure if it was effective, thank you!

Saline like the nose spray? Or is there poultry saline?

And how many grams of sugar? Also he hasn’t really eaten or drinker water just kind of stood there I had gently dipped his beak in the water and he sipped it and stood infront if the water, eyes closed, up tall, shaking.

Thank you a lot!

I hope so too, my previous quails had gotten mauled in the head and had a hole I didn’t. Want them suffering so I sadly had to …

I had put him next to my young chicks not in there with them but next to their container and I have the light for them, but I’m pretty sure somewhere I have a red light do you think that would be better for him?
I really don't know. I just felt I wanted to let you know some one was listening, I have only had one time I had to deal with a blind rooster and it was heartbreaking. I don't know, I just I just wanted you to know I was out here. :hugs

Okay thank you so much! I don’t think I have Vetericyn, I ran out a week ago Can something like ice help? Or Vic’s, Vaseline? I had previously used to capture them and drown them too, was asking because I wasn’t sure if it was effective, thank you!

Saline like the nose spray? Or is there poultry saline?

And how many grams of sugar? Also he hasn’t really eaten or drinker water just kind of stood there I had gently dipped his beak in the water and he sipped it and stood infront if the water, eyes closed, up tall, shaking.

Thank you a lot!

Use distilled water or boil some water on the stove and then dissolve table salt into it. Saline is .9% salt. So use a litre of water to two teaspoons salt.

You can use the saline to flush his wounds too and then apply Vaseline.

For the sugar water you can do half a cup of warm water and dissolve a tablespoon of sugar. Use a dropper or dip his beak in every couple of hours.

Keep him in a warm dark quiet place.

I had previously used to capture them and drown them too, was asking because I wasn’t sure if it was effective, thank you!

If you can catch them in a cage and drown them, it’s effective. Set the cage every night. Drowning isn’t the kindest way to kill rats but sometimes it’s the safest and most accessible.

Back
Top Bottom