chicks...best start in life

hoppingchicks

Songster
Apr 1, 2020
norflok,england
Hi all
I am recently incubating some eggs and I want my chicks to have the best start in life I have an old hamster/guineapig cage that I'm hoping to use for the first few weeks/months.....
I don't know what is the best bedding for young chicks and what to put food and water in.......
look forward to suggestions
hoppingchicks

P.S ideas for enrichment, welcome

For the first few days/weeks puppy pads work, but as they begin to grow a bedding such as wood shavings is more enriching. The wood chips allow the chicks to scratch and do normal chicken behaviors.

For food and water, the gravity feeders work best. those little chick feeders are flimsy and fall apart.

For enrichment, the wood chips will be fine. As they get older I like hanging fresh veggies on kabobs for the chicks to peck at. Make sure to offer grit as well. Boxes to hide in are also enriching. hmm... after a few weeks, and if its over 90 degrees outside, some outside time supervised is also very enriching.

For the first few days/weeks puppy pads work, but as they begin to grow a bedding such as wood shavings is more enriching. The wood chips allow the chicks to scratch and do normal chicken behaviors.

For food and water, the gravity feeders work best. those little chick feeders are flimsy and fall apart.

For enrichment, the wood chips will be fine. As they get older I like hanging fresh veggies on kabobs for the chicks to peck at. Make sure to offer grit as well. Boxes to hide in are also enriching. hmm... after a few weeks, and if its over 90 degrees outside, some outside time supervised is also very enriching.
thank you so much, will definitely try wood chips later on, and yes last time I had chicks when they started getting boisterous I would take them for little runs about the garden and my big chickens would look at them in confusion it was quite funny
(i made sure that the big chickens didn't hurt them)
all regards
hopping chicks
P.S love the idea of the hanging veggies out

I give mine piles of hay to scratch through and eat once they start getting grit. Lots of low perching or rocks to hop on, a hanging fleece mop to snuggle into., hay filled boxes or baskets. Anything safe to stimulate their natural curiosity.

Back
Top Bottom