Chicks ,Bunnies or Ducks as Gifts to Children for Easter .....

mumofsix

Songster
5 Years
Feb 21, 2014
Appalachian
Good Morning Everyone! Today is Snowy and Cold; But is is still going to be a good Day! We are all looking forward to Spring which is knocking at the Door. Just 23 more Days. Last night I got Several Phone Calls from People wanting "Me" to hatch Them Special Eggs (Top Hat) for Them to Give to Kids as Gifts.for Easter. ....I told Them My Chicken's are all Together. I can't Promise a Special Breed or Sex and that I don't think it's a good thing to give Baby Chicks to Children as gifts for Easter..I Never Gave Chicks to My Kids or Grand Kids For Easter and I'm "Not" going to Sell Them to anyone as Gifts. Several Times in the past a few Days after Easter We have found Chicks, Bunnies and Ducks beside the Road . (I Live in the Country.)
bow.gif
My Local Tractor Supply has a Sign that States "Chicks are NOT a Easter Gift and You must buy 6 ) ". Also No one can Handle Them but Workers. I'm Proud of My Store in Pikeville for this. Okay !now tell Everyone What You Think.

I'm glad you have taken such a stand. I'v timed my hatches to happen after Easter, just so there won't be any issues of that nature, not that it matters, b/c I've only ever sold to BYC locals, anyways. But, there's always the issue of someone buying a couple of chicks just for the novelty of it. That novelty wears off very quickly when they find out that chicks are smelly, noisy, not as cuddly as expected, and they require special care.

This is something that I've never understood. Animals are not gifts or toys, they're living, breathing, feeling beings. Agreed, good for you for taking a stand. You were a lot nicer about it then I would've been. As soon as the words "children and gifts" were spoken, that would've been the end of the conversation. I don't normally start selling chicks until after Easter for this reason, and if I do have some for sale close to Easter, I pull all of my ads until its over.

Lots of hatcheries also stop their duckling sales before everyone gets it in their heads that animals make cute gifts and decorations. Awful stuff :/

Last edited:
This is a HOT topic and this site has actually,gotten several requests for "died" color chicks for the 3 year Olds for Easter Awwwwwww THIS IS MY PET PEVE!These are living creatures that require a LOT of care and ARE NOT TOYS. This particular person proceeds to tell me "This is why they are called Easter Chicks". I nicely explained there are EASTER EGGERS birds for there natural colored eggs but THERE IS NO SUCH BREED AS A EASTER CHICK. She got pretty rude so I never replied back but I nicely suggested pictures be taken with her child and "the Easter bunny" instead of buying living animals for a photo opportunity. You guys probably think I'm awful but I love animals so much it hurts me to see them disguarded and forgotten after Easter. Do you think I'm awful? hope not.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom