Chicks Dying Daily

MINchick

Chirping
Jan 31, 2019
Hi Everyone,

We picked up some chicks of various breeds from a local breeder four days ago. They all seemed fine and healthy to begin with but the second day we had a chick die. She was up and down for half a day and died overnight. We found her on her back in the brooder, lethargic, not eating or drinking. The next day we lost another chick that had similar symptoms. Unable to walk and really lethargic. That one went down hill quickly. We checked on it and it was slightly lethargic and two hours later it was dead. Yesterday we lost another, about a week older than the others. It was lethargic for about eight hours, became unable to walk and then died. We have a fourth chick who is now mildly lethargic and walking odd (lifts one leg up really high but that may be unrelated).

There has been no blood in any of their poop. I have them on puppy pads for the first week which I change twice daily. They get fresh food and water daily. The water has probiotics and electrolytes. The first chick got Nutra Drench but the others just went down hill too quickly. They have a Brinsea heater (the plate kind). This is our fourth batch of chicks and we've never lost one in the past. I'm thinking these chicks were exposed to something before they left the breeder. Our brooder hasn't been used in well over a year and was disinfected before use and after each chick died. The breeder hatches 50(ish) chicks a week. Her adult birds seemed in good shape and her chicks were in a relatively clean area but I know that may not mean much.

Before I call this breeder and ask for a refund or replacement chicks, I want to make sure it isn't something that we are doing. I'm wondering if it's something like E-Coli? I would appreciate any input.

Ok. The setup all sounds ok. I just can't think what might be the problem.
Has it been cold recently? Are there any cold draughts?

The room temp has been pretty consistent since we got them and there haven't been any cold draughts or anything.

Maybe contact the breeder and ask him what may be the problem. I'm sure you'll get some replacement ones free of charge.

My only hesitation with getting replacements is that I don't want to get more chicks if they're just going to get sick and die. These were/are supposed to be really good show quality breeding stock and her adult birds are gorgeous but I'm still hesitant.

My only hesitation with getting replacements is that I don't want to get more chicks if they're just going to get sick and die. These were/are supposed to be really good show quality breeding stock and her adult birds are gorgeous but I'm still hesitant.
Always make sure when buying chicks that they have been vaccinated

Back
Top Bottom