Chicks dying...need help!!!

FARMCHICKY

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
I have raised SEVERAL chicks to adulthood without any problem. I recently ordered my first group of buff orpingtons and black jersey giants. In the mix is also some black australorps. They did really well for the first three weeks. Growing normally, feathering out, no problems at all. Suddenly we noticed one of the chicks was very bloody around its anus and was about to die. I didn't think much about because out of 32 chicks this was the first to have a problem. Within the next week or so we lost 3 more. We found them dead with blood around their anus and one had what appeared to be its bowels hanging out. One of the buffs had blood on her head and beak. We separated as much as we possibly could. We didn't have any more problems. Today it has all started again and they are all doing it. Within an hour of checking them, which everything was fine, there is already one dead and there are two more that have blood dripping from their anus. Once again, one of the buffs have blood all over its head and beak. However, all of the chicks are now chasing the two that are injured and pecking their anus. We have removed those two and they are by themselves. I've never had this happen and I've never heard of anyone saying this has happened. Please give me any input possible. I want to save my chicks and thought I had but now I'm out of ideas. THANKS!!!

I have raised SEVERAL chicks to adulthood without any problem. I recently ordered my first group of buff orpingtons and black jersey giants. In the mix is also some black australorps. They did really well for the first three weeks. Growing normally, feathering out, no problems at all. Suddenly we noticed one of the chicks was very bloody around its anus and was about to die. I didn't think much about because out of 32 chicks this was the first to have a problem. Within the next week or so we lost 3 more. We found them dead with blood around their anus and one had what appeared to be its bowels hanging out. One of the buffs had blood on her head and beak. We separated as much as we possibly could. We didn't have any more problems. Today it has all started again and they are all doing it. Within an hour of checking them, which everything was fine, there is already one dead and there are two more that have blood dripping from their anus. Once again, one of the buffs have blood all over its head and beak. However, all of the chicks are now chasing the two that are injured and pecking their anus. We have removed those two and they are by themselves. I've never had this happen and I've never heard of anyone saying this has happened. Please give me any input possible. I want to save my chicks and thought I had but now I'm out of ideas. THANKS!!!
Treat for Coccidiosis. Some symptoms are runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 9 strains it is)fluffed feathers.lethargic,weight loss,not eating/drinking properly. Cocci is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,spread by droppings which get into feed/water via droppings. Most birds have some cocci in their sml intestines,only a problem if they have an overload,then we medicate to bring it back under control. Purchase Corid(amprolium) Dose for Corid 20 % powder is 1/2 tsp per gallon of water,Dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,treat ALL chicks for 5 days,do not give vitamins during treatment(interferes with medication)give vitamins after treatment is complete. Cocci can kill very fast. Make sure medicated water,is the only water they have to drink.

They are all eating and drinking without any problems. They are still growing and appear healthy. They aren't lethargic, at all. It seems as though the buffs, or at least one of them, is doing it to the others. I'm just wondering if this is possible. None of the buffs have had this happen. Only the blacks and there is always a buff that has a bloody head and beak. Also, no watery stool. Everything looks perfectly normal.

Yes this was my idea exactly that you have one or more chicks picking on the others anus. This is possible. are they crowded in there conditions? The ones with the bloody beaks I would guess are the ones doing the picking. Maybe separate the pickers until you can find a better soulation. It could be they are doing it out of boredom. Put in a baby cake for them to pick at and see if it helps stop this. You can get baby cakes at the feed store. Its seed made into a brick or " cake" for chicks to peck on. It might draw there attention away from anus picking.let me know how it works! Hopefully you can break them of this awful habit! I hope this helps and wish you the very best of luck!

seperate the ones that are bleeding the others will peck at the bloody patches seperate the healthy from the diseased ones until you find out whats happining disinfect there house or brooderuntil you find the problem ;)

Thanks! I've never used a baby cake. Ill definitely try it out. I definitely do not think there are any diseases. Ive already separated the injured ones and just as I expected they have quit bleeding and are doing better. Im really thinking this is a buff orpington thing. Ive never raised them before but they are always the ones with the blood on their beaks and heads. Also, it is never a buff that is injured. Im thinking they must see something on the other chicks that makes them want to peck at it or like said earlier they are just bored? They really aren't overcrowded. They are healthy as they can be. Ive really never seen anything like it. They are relentless once they start the pecking. Thanks to everyone for their posts!

Last edited:
pictures would be good m ake sure to wash all the blood off chickens are attracketed to the colour red buff are usually very quit and are usually the ones getting picked watched them to see if theres any picking going on hope everthing goes well :)

Back
Top Bottom