Chicks finally started going into coop at night!

hempsteadjb

Chirping
Apr 25, 2017
Louisiana
My little chicks were moved into the coop last Saturday, I had to order some non-slip tape to put on the ladder because they were having a hard time going up and down. They have slept huddled up every night in the bottom of the pen. I finally lured 4 of the six into the closed area and locked them up overnight. I installed solar lights in the coop so they could have light all night. Last night I looked out and all were up in the enclosed area! My question is, do I need to shut the door in the summer time? It's extremely hot here in Louisiana and there is a window with the hardware cloth that is open all night. I have installed a solar electric fence around the bottom of the coop and hardware cloth is buried all around the bottom...any advice is welcome!!! I'm a newbie!

what I'm wondering is, do i need to close the door once they are in at night since its so warm here?

I would just because i am overly protective. Lol! I don't want some sneaky somethin figurin out how to get in the run. But it sounds like you have it protected quite well and closin the door is not necessary just and added protection is all it would be..... this from the lady who has 19 pullets in a chicken tractor with two levels of hot wire surroundin them right now... cause hubby is buildin their coop. Hahahaha. And our girls are just peachy. Hubby just got done with meat birds in the tractor and they all did just fine like that.

Your should be just fine like you have them And the door open.

I would just because i am overly protective. Lol! I don't want some sneaky somethin figurin out how to get in the run. But it sounds like you have it protected quite well and closin the door is not necessary just and added protection is all it would be.
Thank you, I've read that chickens can't take the heat and I want them to be comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom