Chicks foot doesn’t look right.

Looks like some runaway keratin or follicle growth...
....they can pop up in strange places and 'over-grow'.
That it's growing on top of the toe is probably what's causing the curvature.
c4f67407-75e9-47c6-ba46-2bb658ddabf3-jpeg.2009395

Looks like a case for the books. I decided to look it up and found Keratosis pilaris. It happens on people skin. You can try treating it with coconut oil.

Disclaimer: I've never dealt with this. But what I would do is, after soaking the feet in warm Epsom salt for fifteen minutes, dry the feet, then submerse the feet in warmed coconut oil. Let it soak in for a minute, then remove the feet and set her on an absorbent towel to catch the oil run-off.

I would do this spa treatment every other day for a week and see what happens. A science experiment. It can't hurt anything.

Both feet feel the same temperature. The chick is walking on the foot and not favoring it at all.
So interesting that it isn't red at all.

I actually do agree with all the previous suggestions posted. But have more questions...

You say this is a new condition not noticed before last week... how long have you had her and where did SHE (according to features and stated age) come from. What do you feed on a regular basis including treats and supplements? Did you ever need to treat for coccidiosis?

I bred Silkies for a few years, and nutrition can have super heavy impact on these guys... IF it wasn't hatched like that. The missing feathers are likely from being walked on.

I'm not sure how accurate the feather test for Marek's is, but I would be curios to have it done.

I have never dealt with exactly this situation before. Thank you for sharing!

The most likely culprits according to my limited experience are genetics, disease, or nutrition. Possibly a combination there of. Some individuals do have a higher nutrient need than the average to be normal. :hmm

Wish I could be more helpful... but I am following so I can learn and share if possible.

Is seeing an avian vet an option for you? Is that toe hard like callused or more like blistery?

:fl

Looks like a case for the books. I decided to look it up and found Keratosis pilaris. It happens on people skin. You can try treating it with coconut oil.

Disclaimer: I've never dealt with this. But what I would do is, after soaking the feet in warm Epsom salt for fifteen minutes, dry the feet, then submerse the feet in warmed coconut oil. Let it soak in for a minute, then remove the feet and set her on an absorbent towel to catch the oil run-off.

I would do this spa treatment every other day for a week and see what happens. A science experiment. It can't hurt anything.
i will try this out

So interesting that it isn't red at all.

I actually do agree with all the previous suggestions posted. But have more questions...

You say this is a new condition not noticed before last week... how long have you had her and where did SHE (according to features and stated age) come from. What do you feed on a regular basis including treats and supplements? Did you ever need to treat for coccidiosis?

I bred Silkies for a few years, and nutrition can have super heavy impact on these guys... IF it wasn't hatched like that. The missing feathers are likely from being walked on.

I'm not sure how accurate the feather test for Marek's is, but I would be curios to have it done.

I have never dealt with exactly this situation before. Thank you for sharing!

The most likely culprits according to my limited experience are genetics, disease, or nutrition. Possibly a combination there of. Some individuals do have a higher nutrient need than the average to be normal. :hmm

Wish I could be more helpful... but I am following so I can learn and share if possible.

Is seeing an avian vet an option for you? Is that toe hard like callused or more like blistery?

:fl
On February 22 she will be 4 months old. Her foot is now better. She walk on it normal now. After following the care directions for curl toe. The feather on her foot are slowly growing back

Looks like some runaway keratin or follicle growth...
....they can pop up in strange places and 'over-grow'.
That it's growing on top of the toe is probably what's causing the curvature.
c4f67407-75e9-47c6-ba46-2bb658ddabf3-jpeg.2009395
It was not growing on top the toe curled under her foot. Do to a vitamin B2 problem

Back
Top Bottom