Chicks hatched are with Momma hen in brooder...

Hunny

Songster
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
So now what?! HA.
I always feel like a newbie when it comes to my girls, its a new adventure after new adventure!

So 1 of 3 chicks hatched, must have been overnight. Looks like the other two eggs are on their way as well, with some zip evidence.

So now what?

I have the chick waterer in there (thats what momma hen was using while broodie).
I will have to go buy some chick feed because all I have is layer pellets- but I dont have to offer the food until tomorrow right?

I dont need a heat=lamp because they little guy is tucked up under momma hen...right? But the Brooder gets pretty dark in the garage-so maybe I should turn it on?
And should I remove the shells after they all hatch so that Momma hen doesnt eat them?
When can I handle the chicks, or should I not handle them?

Okay thats it for now! Yay! A successful hatch so far!

Thanks in advance.

*Hunny

If I remember right from my zoo days you don't have to worry about them eating for three days because they absorb the yolk and that gives them all the nutrition they need. That's why chicks can be shipped right after hatching.

Your hen will keep the chick warm, but if it's dark in the garage it would be nice to turn on a light so that the hen has day time and night time hours.

That's all the expertise I almost have . .
big_smile.png

Congratulations!!

I keep food and water offered 24/7 to mamma hens and babies, I would make sure all the chicks have had a drink. Food is very inportant!
If it is very dark then I would put a lamp on them, other wise they won't be able to see their food/water.
You can remove the shells if you want to, it doesn't really matter.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom