Chicks hocks bending backwards?

coastcountry

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 20, 2013
Hey there! Have a 5 day old chick, who's both hocks are bending backwards (or whatever joint is above the foot?) I wasn't planning on having chicks, I thought I lost two hens to coyotes and then they show up with babies! The first day he was flopping around and would stand, try to walk then face plant. That night his siblings walked all over him and pretty much killed him, but we found him and put him on a heating pad. Then he started standing and walking around day 3, day 4 he starts out good then his legs bend funny when he gets excited and tries to move quick and he face plants and scoots on his tummy. He eats and drinks healthy, I read on some posts about perosis and Vitamin B so we started him on that last night. We live in a non farm area, so our local feed store just stocks basic chick feed, not the proper starter. My farmer friends have told me he will be fine, he might end up having a limp. My real concern at the moment is that he always sleeps in the 'starfish' position lol always on his tummy, unless he is sleeping in my hands, and I don't think that its helping his legs, because his legs are so straight and they get stiff, so I gently stretch them back into place and if he thinks about what hes doing, he can walk a few steps before he gets excited and when he stands up tall his hocks buckle forwards. Im thinking about a sling for the sleeping.. I have him with me 24/7, I bring him to work with me and he sleeps by our bed, so I can watch him, has anyone else dealt with this? :):) This is so cool that theres so much info on chickens here!

Back
Top Bottom