Chicks in incubator soooo confused this hatch

aliciaperez89

Hatching
Oct 5, 2016
Washington
so I have chickens in the incubator (10 barbanter, 12 silkies. One day apart) about 7 hatched (7/10 barbanters) 48 hours ago. The other didn't even pip. So I took the live chicks out. Left the other eggs in an extra day, still no progress. I took them out, candled and saw no movement. I went to open them up to see and 5 were dead and 10 were still alive after I removed the air cell. I freed their beaks (3 I didn't free their beak as they are not in position to yet), wrapped air cell area with wet napkin and placed back in incubator and raised temp. 24 hours later all are still alive and chirping but their blood vessels are still visible so I can't assist hatching. Any advice? They are show silkie chicks.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Leave them be for now. Best to avoid touching them at all but definitely do not touch them until the blood vessels are gone. With any luck some and perhaps even many will be able to hatch on their own. Only interfere further if any are obviously in severe distress or decline.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Hi there and welcome to Backyard chickens! I know NOTHING about hatching eggs, but I hope someone here will. Happy hatching!

Back
Top Bottom