Help!

Bribriman

Hatching
Jul 26, 2023
First time hatching a duck and need help he is shrink wrapped!

Day 29 he externally pipped outside of the air sac. 24 hours later there was no movement so I took him out of the incubator to investigate.

We are day 30 and over 24 hours of external pip, so I opened up the shell from the air sac and saw he was shrink wrapped.

I carefully made a zip from the air sac to the pipped hole and moistened the membrane with Vaseline as I went. There were a few tiny blood vessels, one that started to bleed slightly which I stopped with some paper towel. I made it to his beak and put him back in the incubator. Little guy is chirping and wiggling. I’m scared to keep pulling on the membrane in fear of knocking a blood vessel. What do I do?!

First time hatching a duck and need help he is shrink wrapped!

Day 29 he externally pipped outside of the air sac. 24 hours later there was no movement so I took him out of the incubator to investigate.

We are day 30 and over 24 hours of external pip, so I opened up the shell from the air sac and saw he was shrink wrapped.

I carefully made a zip from the air sac to the pipped hole and moistened the membrane with Vaseline as I went. There were a few tiny blood vessels, one that started to bleed slightly which I stopped with some paper towel. I made it to his beak and put him back in the incubator. Little guy is chirping and wiggling. I’m scared to keep pulling on the membrane in fear of knocking a blood vessel. What do I do?!
Just keep the membrane moist for now
They can take up to 48 hours to hatch after external pip
Many of mine take around 30-36 hours
We want him
Absorbed before he comes out
Shrink wrap is not very common
What humidity were you at ?
I run 70 and I’m in and out of my bator during hatching and never had one yet
I usually don’t start to help unless it’s been 48 hours since external
Did baby hit the air cell first ? If not then it can take up to 72 hours if they skip that step.

Just keep the membrane moist for now
They can take up to 48 hours to hatch after external pip
Many of mine take around 30-36 hours
We want him
Absorbed before he comes out
Shrink wrap is not very common
What humidity were you at ?
I run 70 and I’m in and out of my bator during hatching and never had one yet
I usually don’t start to help unless it’s been 48 hours since external
Did baby hit the air cell first ? If not then it can take up to 72 hours if they skip that step.
I want to add Vaseline helps to keep the membrane moist for longer
With baby open like that I would run 70-75 % humidity as the membrane is no longer shielded by the shell and exposed will dry faster
If you take a candler to the egg behind babies head and towards the pointy end you can usually see in and see veins without having to remove anymore shell ( most times
Sometimes you still can’t depending on babies position )
Once clear that’s when I help baby out

Back
Top Bottom