Chicks in the house

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gino100, Jan 15, 2013.

1. gino100

gino100 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Waiting for our chicks to arrive. I want to keep them downstairs but my wife heard the smell from one if her friends and wants me to put them in the garage. Any suggestions?

2. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    How many chicks? Small numbers are ok in the house for a few weeks. Large number probably need to be in a shed or garage, unless you have a laundry type room you don't care about the smell in. My 6 (3-5 weeks) are in the dining room, and we had to start lighting candles this week [​IMG]

3. gino100

gino100 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I got 6 coming also.. Guess it might be the garage then. [​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    No more brooding in the house here! The do fine in an enclosed barn, shed or garage with a good heat lamp. And remember, they still need enough space to get out from under the heat, a warm area and a cool area. I never noticed a smell so much as all the dust! I have no idea how a baby chick makes so much dust, but it's horrible. Outside is better.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    We went with the covered patio. Outdoors to keep the smell and dust out of the house while still close to check on frequently. They are fun to watch -- chick TV is addictive!

Oh, and the transition to the coop in spring is easier if they weren't raised in a 70F house.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I also brood my chicks outside (in an outdoor hutch), but when I was brooding inside they didn't stink, just smelled like pine shavings. They usually only stink if you don't clean the brooder properly. Now the dust, oh the dust, that's why I don't brood inside anymore! They should be just fine in your basement. Good luck.
    Nikki

7. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    With a small amount of chicks I think having them inside for the first couple of weeks isn't bad. Longer than a couple of wks you will have to clean the brooder multiple times a day or you may find yourself in the doghouse. The larger space the chicks have the easier it is to keep the brooder clean.
    Good luck picking the best spot for your birds!

8. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    I guess I should clarify...stink is relative. If you don't mind a barny healthy compost like smell, then a clean brooder doesn't stink. If anything other than regular air stinks to you...then they stink [​IMG]

9. arizonarancher

arizonarancher Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    Cave Creek Arizona
    I cleaned my cages/brooders once a day and didn't have an issue with smell. If I missed a day I sure did though, and once they got older they all got kicked outside, because the older they get the smellier they are :)

10. sawyerashton

sawyerashton Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    South Louisiana
    My Coop
    I had 4 chicks and the smell was not at all noticeable until they were about 3 weeks old. The dust was a pain, but my biggest issue was the feathers. When those feathers started falling, you can't sweep them, and they get everywhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by