Chicks in the house

gino100

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 25, 2012
Omaha, NE
Waiting for our chicks to arrive. I want to keep them downstairs but my wife heard the smell from one if her friends and wants me to put them in the garage. Any suggestions?

How many chicks? Small numbers are ok in the house for a few weeks. Large number probably need to be in a shed or garage, unless you have a laundry type room you don't care about the smell in. My 6 (3-5 weeks) are in the dining room, and we had to start lighting candles this week
wink.png

No more brooding in the house here! The do fine in an enclosed barn, shed or garage with a good heat lamp. And remember, they still need enough space to get out from under the heat, a warm area and a cool area. I never noticed a smell so much as all the dust! I have no idea how a baby chick makes so much dust, but it's horrible. Outside is better.

We went with the covered patio. Outdoors to keep the smell and dust out of the house while still close to check on frequently. They are fun to watch -- chick TV is addictive!

Oh, and the transition to the coop in spring is easier if they weren't raised in a 70F house.

Last edited:
I also brood my chicks outside (in an outdoor hutch), but when I was brooding inside they didn't stink, just smelled like pine shavings. They usually only stink if you don't clean the brooder properly. Now the dust, oh the dust, that's why I don't brood inside anymore! They should be just fine in your basement. Good luck.
Nikki

With a small amount of chicks I think having them inside for the first couple of weeks isn't bad. Longer than a couple of wks you will have to clean the brooder multiple times a day or you may find yourself in the doghouse. The larger space the chicks have the easier it is to keep the brooder clean.
Good luck picking the best spot for your birds!

I guess I should clarify...stink is relative. If you don't mind a barny healthy compost like smell, then a clean brooder doesn't stink. If anything other than regular air stinks to you...then they stink
wink.png

I cleaned my cages/brooders once a day and didn't have an issue with smell. If I missed a day I sure did though, and once they got older they all got kicked outside, because the older they get the smellier they are :)

I had 4 chicks and the smell was not at all noticeable until they were about 3 weeks old. The dust was a pain, but my biggest issue was the feathers. When those feathers started falling, you can't sweep them, and they get everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom