Chicks Just Aren't Working Out

RS16017

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 13, 2014
I had a hen go broody on me so I put some fertilized eggs under her to let her run her course. 3 hatched yesterday and right away it seems other chickens grabbed 2 chicks out of the nest and killed them. The other hatchling stayed under mama. I put the hen, nest and all, in a cage within the coop so the others couldn't get to her or the chicks. This morning my wife said it looked like the other chick was dead under the hen. Still have about 3 eggs to hatch but it doesn't look like it's going to go well. If none of the chicks make it will the hen stop being broody and go back to the flock. I just want her to get this out of her system. Didn't want chicks in the beginning but would have raised them had they survived.

I have had a situation like this go both ways. I had one hen who did give up and join general population and then I had another one from the same time just continue on. I finally let her actually sit on a few fertile eggs for a "one last attempt" and the other one went broody again. As of three days ago each has one chick and they're both in separate pens for privacy.

I hope for your sake she stops
smile.png
Good luck.

Oh goodness!! You need to separate that broody and her chicks/remaining eggs asap! Put her and the entire nest into something like a dog crate or sick pen. If she's the a-typical broody she'll put up a fight so I recommend wearing long sleeves and gloves! She'll bwak at you to high heaven, but just keep doing what you're doing, tell her it's alright and move the whole kit-n-kaboodle...she'll settle down. Make sure she has water and feed nearby.

Best of luck and wishing you well!!
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom