Chicks kicking shavings into the water

rosemarythyme

Crossing the Road
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
How old are these chicks? Very young chicks may not have the strength needed to use a horizontal nipple.

I also wouldn't trust them to just "figure it out" - best to train them by either demonstrating how to use the nipple, or picking them up and making them toggle it to get some water so they make the connection.

3KillerBs

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
Based on advice and photos from the various chick brooding articles and threads here, I put my feeder and waterer on a hard surface instead of on the shavings -- concrete pavers that I happened to have lying around.

As the chicks have grown I elevated them on bricks and wood blocks over that hard surface.

This minimized but did not eliminate the shavings problem (even at 3 weeks they could fling shavings a remarkable distance when digging).

mrybells

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2020
Alpharetta, Ga
I had the same issue but then I changed my brooder to a dog crate and gave them a lot more room. They love scratching so if the brooder isn't big enough its just going to get hit with the debris. I finally can stop cleaning it every couple of hours...so much better!

Top Bottom