Chicks kicking shavings into the water

thanai

Songster
Jul 3, 2020
Canada
I constantly have to clean my chick water because the chicks always kick shavings and poop into it. They also perch on top of the water container and poop into the water. How can I help prevent this?

Also, I have tried raising the waterer up on a block of wood, but they STILL manage to get shavings/poop in. I have one of those open waterers with a plastic top and a red base.

I don’t know how to prevent this but it’s happens to me too and is pretty annoying after you just clean/refill it. There’s not much you can do in terms of the chicks it’s just their natural instincts/behavior to forage. In terms of the actual water container I’ve also only heard about just putting it on something to make it higher.

My quail chicks already are using the nipple waterer, I was worried, but someone else had pics of their chicks using a waterer successfully, so I put both in the brooder, they use both but when I move them to a larger brooder in a couple days I’ll just leave the nipple waterer. I feel if a 1 day old quail chick can work it so can a chicken chick.
720D4EEE-FD54-42BA-925F-CBF479324805.jpeg

I did have a roost, but they loved the waterer more. Also I tried nipple waterers but the chicks never got the hang of them. I can retry those though

@truchickendiva this is what I did for my chicks to avoid this, it worked wonders! And the bigger and flappier they get the messier the water dish will get. This was an easy fix. Rubbermaid container, a small section of hardware mesh, a couple piece of wood and some duct tape to cover sharp edges!
(I can’t take credit for this idea, I stole it from a YouTube video from Guildbrook Farms)

Attachments

• 1D2BFC03-E9D4-46D1-982F-79E8AFCCC85A.jpeg
    1D2BFC03-E9D4-46D1-982F-79E8AFCCC85A.jpeg
    418.6 KB · Views: 51
  • B55E1324-B357-443F-8DD7-E6087E723486.jpeg
    B55E1324-B357-443F-8DD7-E6087E723486.jpeg
    511.9 KB · Views: 49
I introduced my chicks to the nipple waterer around three weeks, it took a while for them to catch on. I'd reach in and tap it whenever I fed them, they'd peck it and watch the water fall and look in the shavings for it. But now they all have it figured out properly.

Back
Top Bottom