Chicks legs don’t work

Feathered_Texans

Songster
Sep 24, 2018
Central Texas
I friend just gave me her polish chick because she did not know what was wrong with it and she figured I could help. It can barely stand up and they put the wraps on it like shoes. What should I do to treat it?
DE133932-58C5-479D-84F0-660FA0D8246E.jpeg
FBEA6187-CE0A-4A46-AB63-82710464DDDA.jpeg
EBCA7508-94BE-4B8D-90C6-A8677F18C9EA.jpeg
850A5423-88AA-4526-81FA-1FDC44D9BD05.jpeg

Did they say why they wrapped the feet? Do you know if this is something that just happened or has it been this way since hatch? Does it eat and drink normally? Poops normal? If it were me, I would remove the wraps and take a look at the feet so you have a starting place to work from. Pictures of the feet and legs (unwrapped) may help get some suggestions. If the chick cannot stand then using a chick chair for periods to help it stay upright and eat and drink better may be helpful, some examples here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
Vitamin supplementing with a B complex tablet (human ones, probably a 1/4th of a tablet daily- you can grind up and mix with a bit of moistened feed) may help also, but seeing the feet and legs would be good.

It was eating and drinking fine. I think it just started developing the issue. I only have liquid vitamin b complex but I’m assuming it will still work. I’m going to take the bandages off in a little bit.

It would be good to see the legs and feet unwrapped, and to get more info from the friend about the leg problems. Hold the chick up in a standing position for pictures to post here. It would be good to know if the toes were curled under or crooked, if the legs had any issues, such as slipped tendon or splayed legs. The earlier leg and foot problems are threated, the better the chances of helping it. Give the chick B vitamins that include riboflavin. Human B complex tablets can be used, dissolved in water, and fed with a dropper, and Poultry Cell or Polyvisol have riboflavin as well. NutriDrench does not have it.

Back
Top Bottom