Chicks Love Perching!

The perches I am using are stripped of bark, but I assume bark could give them extra traction. They range from one to two inches in height, with varying diameters as well.

I just finished putting in a set of perches at 8-12" off the floor, but one of the perches goes all the way to the ground, so some chicks walk up and jump off, while others fly up to the highest spots from the floor.My chicks are almost three weeks old. I fastened crossed branches with zip ties and fastened the branches to parts of the brooder, to keep them all steady.

When they first arrived, they had two perches that were only 2-3" off the bedding. I added another one, a week later, that was a bit higher- about 5-6" up.

I also added two piles of dry sand after enlarging their brooder by several inches today, and they are happier than ever- perching, dust-bathing- and we gave them piles of fresh grass today, too. They were seriously celebrating in there! The party continues; I can hear them from the kitchen.
lol.png

The brooder housing my nine-day-old fuzzbutts is a 104-quart Sterilite tote, so I just laid a couple of branches about two inches thick on its floor. They absolutely love them, especially now that they have the hang of sitting on them without tumbling off.
wink.png

I made some little perches for my chicks the day after we brought them home, we used some clothes pins and some dowel. They jumped on them almost immediately! Some of them are sleeping on them now, some of them are kind of sleeping on them.... 😂
You might also notice the evolution of bedding in our broader, thanks to BYC. I had no idea newspaper was such a no-no! They are very happy on pine pellets now.
20210216_213058.jpg
20210217_091440.jpg
20210217_212941.jpg

Cuties! This thread hasn't been posted on, or looked at by the original members since 2011. It isn't likely that these members will still respond, or are even still following these threads. That is if they are even still on BYC. your babies are adorable! I love them, feel free to post a thread in the "stories and pictures of my chickens" forum. Then, everyone will see you adorable babies! ☺️

Cuties! This thread hasn't been posted on, or looked at by the original members since 2011. It isn't likely that these members will still respond, or are even still following these threads. That is if they are even still on BYC. your babies are adorable! I love them, feel free to post a thread in the "stories and pictures of my chickens" forum. Then, everyone will see you adorable babies! ☺️
Thank you! I honestly didn't even look at the dates on this thread 🤦‍♀️I'll post in 'stories and pictures of my chickens', thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom