Chicks not Roosting - 1st time having this issue

Then I Will

Songster
8 Years
Jan 13, 2012
Annville, Pennsylvania
Hi all,

I've had about 8 years experience with chickens, but I'm only on my second coop.
For the past week, I've been trying to train my 1-2 month old chicks to roost.

I supplied a 2x4 mounted up about a foot on bricks as a transition until they get old enough to fly to the higher permanent roost in their coop. They continue to sleep on the floor in the corner of the coop, inline with a large window that lets in a lot of evening light. I find this behavior odd as they are also sitting in their chicken door to the outside world, which you would expect them to avoid because of fear of predators "out there." When the door was closed, I figured they did this because they wanted something over them.
But now my suspicion is that it's a lighting issue. They're staying in the corner that gets the sunset light longest and therefore don't wander over to the darker side of the coop where the roost is. I feel no drafts in the coop, and if there were, where they choose to sleep would be the drafty spot.

My others in the other side of the coop are going up and into the nesting boxes. So at least they know to go up.

How long should I keep going in at night and picking them up and placing them on the roost before they can be expected to "get it?" :confused: Are there any tricks to helping them learn the ropes?
The chicks I used to raise would get it after about three nights of my physically placing them on the roost. I've been at this a week already.

Thanks in advance,
Laurisa

Carry your impeccable logic one more step. You noticed your chicks are favoring the lighted spot. Therefore, your next conclusion would be chickens like to see what they're doing, especially when getting settled into new surroundings.

Even for seasoned chickens who've been roosting on the same place for a time, being able to see the roosting perch to take measure of the distance required to navigate is something that makes a big difference in how eager they'll be to use those perches.

When I built my second coop, I failed to take into account how the chickens would be able to see once the windows were closed off in winter. The coop was for my two roosters, and they were refusing to go in when night came. Once I realized the problem - they couldn't see what they were doing - I put up a light and the problem was happily solved.

Later on, I got some plexiglass and put that over the windows in winter to let in the evening light so the chickens now are able to see where they're going and have enough light to make it safely up onto the perches.

Until your chicks learn to roost and become comfortable in their coop, it's perfectly okay to provide them with a dim night light. Also, as you place the chicks on the perch, if you situate them close together, they'll feel more secure and will be more likely to remain where you put them. If any are agitated, place a hand lightly on their heads with just a bit of downward pressure. This calms them and gets them into a sleeping posture.

Like clockwork for getting broods to roost up. First keep them in pen like shown on top in image below. Then move pen (actually a rabbit pen) to desired location. Chicks very very likely to fly up to roost in the pen. Keep pen in the roosting location for a couple of nights, then remove pen from roosting area so chicks cannot find it. I am able to get chicks to roost up consistently by three weeks following this procedure.
20170706_203904-jpg.1080384

This is the right side of the coop where the younger ones are transitioning to going up in the nesting box. (Working on chicken proofing the top of it with wire/wood soon. It's still a work in progress. Better "git'er done" before they figure out how to make it to the top.)

The other side of the coop is a mirror image of this one. Window inline with white framed window. Roost in line with roost seen here, feed and water mirror placed, etc.

They actually already have the ability to fly up to the adult roost, (Sumatras) so I have a feeling they're going to skip their chick roost and just start zipping up to the adult roost once they figure it out.

They're bedding down on the same side as the roosts- the roosts stay lit up in the evening.... so..... I don't know. I guess I'll just keep plugging away at it.

IMG_1435.JPG

This is the right side of the coop where the younger ones are transitioning to going up in the nesting box. (Working on chicken proofing the top of it with wire/wood soon. It's still a work in progress. Better "git'er done" before they figure out how to make it to the top.)

The other side of the coop is a mirror image of this one. Window inline with white framed window. Roost in line with roost seen here, feed and water mirror placed, etc.

They actually already have the ability to fly up to the adult roost, (Sumatras) so I have a feeling they're going to skip their chick roost and just start zipping up to the adult roost once they figure it out.

They're bedding down on the same side as the roosts- the roosts stay lit up in the evening.... so..... I don't know. I guess I'll just keep plugging away at it.

View attachment 1080680

AAh shucks centerchid, your cheating. :lau

Chicks will take to the roost faster or sooner if they got Mama there to show them.

I guess I should have waited one more night before posting my concern... because.... the little stinkers have made a fool of me.

All of the older ones roosted on their own. And two of the younger ones, as you can see through the wire on the other side, figured they liked the highest roost in the coop.
IMG_1766.JPG
IMG_1767.JPG

They look happy. Now I am happy.

Back
Top Bottom