Chicks pooping blood!!! Help! (Pics)

I just sent a e-mail to the hatchery to complain about the Coccidiosis. I am so not happy right now. And now I don't know if I am making matters worse with the medicated feed. I spent a lot of money of these rare breed chicks. I also happen to love them
love.gif

Quote:
I am new to chickens as well, but I am not new to healthcare (human anyway), and I hope I haven't added to your confusion. I do know that Corid is amprolium and the medicine in medicated feed is amprolium. I know medicated feed bags say to be certain that it is the only source or amprolium, but then again, I am not sure what "too much" would actually be (I am trying to figure that out myself). I am also not sure if you can treat with amplrolium, or if it is more of a preventative. It is a coccidiostat, meaning it helps control the cocci in their systems so that they can gradually get immunity by being exposed, but not overwhelmed by infection (similar to what the vaccine is supposed to do), it is my understanding that it doesn't get rid of a full blown infection though. I think the reason that you don't feed amprolium products to vaccinated chicks is because it will potentially kill the couple of oocyts that the vaccine contains (they give them live oocyts to allow a controled exposure so the immune system will begin to recognize it a foreign and attack any additional oocyts that they come across in their environment).

I think all chickens will, eventually, be exposed to whatever of the 9 strains of cocci are present in your particular environment. The hope is that they are exposed slowly enough to mount an immune response against the protozoa that causes it and defeat it and in doing so become "immune". This happens mostly from exposure to droppings, dirt, and other surfaces that contain the fertilized ova of the protozoa (they can live in soil for a looooong time). They require constant re-exposure to remain immune (unlike viral immunity that often is for a lifetime once you recover). The little ones who have weakened immune systems, or who are exposed to too many of the ova at a given time, get overwhelmed by the infection and may not make it. I worry about live vaccine in any species (human included) when given at such a young age. Most infant creatures don't have much immunity to speak of (only that provided by mom before birth that hangs around for a bit).

I am hoping that someone with more experience can comment on this for you, but when I posted a similar thread on the emergencies/diseases thread, they suggested the sulmet (my TSC was out, it is about 20 as well and is in the calf medicine section).

artathart How are things today? One dose was all it took for the little buggers to totally improve for me. I continued with the full treatment, but there was no blood clots and only a bit of blood tinged urine with normal poo from one chick the next morning. My losses were very quick and the strain must have been extremely viral as they went from fine and dandy on Thurs night to dead and dieing Fri morning. I took a poop sample to the vet and it was cocci, so I didn't medicated until I had a diagnosis which probably increased my loses. Had I jumped on the medication right away I probably would have reduced my losses to the 7 dead that I found right away in the morning. I have never had an occurance like this before as I always have had mine vaccinated. Let the Hatchery know and they will make it right with you. They have been my families hatchery from almost their begining. I was in 4H along with my 7 brothers and sisters and we always had poultry winning grand champion and many blue ribbons. My Grandpa always got his poultry from them, same with my parents, and now me and my son, so let them know that you are experiencing losses. They need to know if there is a problem with their vaccine or with the order pickers.

So today They had drank all their water so I made a new batch of water with Clorid, only a much smaller ammount of powder this time and I filled their feeder with Non medicated feed. I figure I will alternate days with medicated and then non medicated feed. I would just like everyone to know that NONE of my chicks were fed medicated feed prior to this outbreak of Cocci because I was instructed not to by the hatchery since they had all be vaccinated. I keep all or my brooders very clean as they are in our home. New bedding every other day, I clean every brooder with lysol wipes every time I change the bedding. All of my waters are on bricks so poop doesnt get in them and all the waters and feeders are disinfected all the time. As of this afternoon, Every one is alive and appear to be fine. Last night we made a Emergency visit to Lowes and bult a new brooder for outside because we do not wanted infected birds in the house or near our other brooders. This is their new home for now and I really think they are enjoying it. No losses as of yet and averyone is eating and drinking.

Brooderwemade004.jpg

Well we have a full on Outbreak from all the MurrayMcmurray chicks. I had chicks that were 1-2 weeks older in a completely seperate brooder then the current infected chicks and when I was feeding this evening I noticed blood in their bedding. I cought it quickly I believe and they are no on the Corid and medicated feed as well. When I went out to check on the infected chicks and feed them, I noticed more blood in their bedding as well so I started them back on medicated feed also. I am 100% certain in my mind that the hatchery did NOT vaccinate for this and just charged me and said they did. I am going to have a very heated discussion with the hatchery tomorrow moring. I am so upset.

Back
Top Bottom