Chicks shipped but not recieved yet...update #2.

summerb76

Songster
11 Years
Aug 8, 2008
Lake Como, Florida
I ordered 29 day olds from MM Hatchery and they were hatched and shipped out Saturday. They are not here yet and I am so worried. I called MM and the lady said I will get them Tuesday at the latest and were probably shipped with a red gel pack. What are my chances that they will all be alive? I really hoped they would be here this morning. My last order from them came on a Friday after a Wednesday hatch. I was all ready for them this morning and now I have to wait longer and I hope I'm not waiting on dead chicks!!! Please give me some good news to make me feel beter.

Last edited:
I don't understand why MM would ship on a Saturday when they know some rural post offices do not have personnel in the PO on Sunday?

Shipping on Saturday is great for eggs as it usually means a Monday delivery.

Sorry this is happening to you. Can you call your PO and ask them if they can trace, or ask McMurray to trace from that end? In the past some chicks have been found near by at a sorting station and people have driven to get them. Not the best, but better than nothing.

Be ready for some chicks to be weak and have sugar water handy, as well as some Vitamin and Electrolyte water. Often however if they have survived that far they do OK in the long run, they just get off to a slow start.

Hoping that they have done OK for you. There is a chance some will not have survived of course, but here's hoping.

MM been having trouble with shipping, its not them its the PO. Hope they make it OK
fl.gif
fl.gif

I have the sugar water waiting and I am geting grow gel and quik chick too. I really hope they all hold on for the rest of the day and night, if they do I will do everything to strengthen them up.

:/Hello we live in SC and our babies were shipped from MM on Sat also.
We are still waiting. We have called the PO several times and have asked to be called as soon as they arrive no matter what time it is. We have been assured they well but it's so cold out. I almost wish I had waited a few weeks to order so it would be a little warmer for the chicks. I hope they want be too stressed out from the trip. I just wanted you to know you're not alone in your wait. It will be okay.
Wishing you the best with your new babies.

I got my MM chicks this morning. The package post was marked on Friday, not sure if they made the label ahead of time or what since I expected a Saturday ship. All that aside 27 out of 28 chicks came in healthy and happy. Who knows why #28 didn't make it, could have just smothered in a pile or something. I had 3 chicks present with a little bit of pasty butt but I cleaned them up and so far so good. I did give them sugar water right off, dipped every little beak as I transferred them from box to brooder. Within an hour they were all lined up chowing down at the feeder.

I know I was a nervous wreck waiting for them to come in. This is my first mail order of chicks and in this past week I read so many terrible accounts of DOA chicks that I had myself in a frenzy. I barely slept from Saturday through this morning worrying over what might have become of my 28 little lives. I'm in NH and yesterday there was a big snow storm and roads were bad. I got even more concerned that the storm could have held them up somewhere.

This morning I had to drop my husband off at work at 8am. We left at 7:30am and the call hadn't come in yet. On the way home I decided I'd stop at the post office to see if maybe I missed the call while I was out. I was so relieved when I walked in there and could here tons of tiny peeps coming from the back. The woman working the office told me that she had peeked in on them and one hadn't made it. She was genuinely sad about it. They gave me the box inside of one of their plastic tubs to take home. She said they stay warmer if they stay in the tub. Now I just have to return the tub tomorrow.

Sorry this got so long. Anyways, have hope! Although it is legitimate to be concerned about the peeps you just have to keep believing that they will come in OK!

mine where shipped on sat of last week and did not get them till wensday and they were fine, so they will make it. they were late because of po not mcmurry, good luck william

I had a similar problem 2 weeks ago with a chick shipment. I understand how you must be feeling. I was so worried, I couldn't sleep. I was expecting most to be DOA when they finally showed up on the Saturday after a Wed. shipment. Only five were DOA out of 45, but we lost a few more shortly there after. I followed everyones's suggestions here and it helped the rest to recover. Do some searches here at BYC and you will find lots of great advice for this.

Back
Top Bottom