Chicks sneezing at 10 weeks old

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KrystalRose, Aug 15, 2014.

1. KrystalRose

KrystalRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2014
    Finley, WA
    I have a total of 24 chicks, they are all 10 weeks old today. When I ordered them I had them vaccinated for Mareks and Coccidiosis before they were shipped to me and they have all done really well up to now. Now I have 2 out of the 24 that are sneezing fairly consistently, they do have dry noses and normal eyes and are eating/drinking/playing like all the other chicks. We have had a couple wind-dust-rain-thunder storms this week and even though they were in the coop during the storms this is when the sneezing started. I am wondering how long is normal for a pullet to sneeze after this? It has only been the two pullets, none of the rest are showing any problems. I have a couple water dishes, one I keep with ACV and the other I keep with a probiotic electrolyte vitamin powder mix. Is there anything more I can do or just wait it out? They have a 22x22 outside run and a 8x14 inside coop so they aren't cramped and they aren't being picked on or acting lethargic, and they are the only chickens I have.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be the dust, and sometimes mold and ammonia fumes can cause sneezing. Make sure that your coop is well ventilated. Infectious bronchitis, a viral respiratory disease, can cause sneezing, but usually it spreads fairly quickly to many members of the flock

3. KrystalRose

KrystalRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2014
    Finley, WA
    Thanks, it hasn't been long since I cleaned the coop but I will do it again this weekend just in case. Besides I need more brown stuff for my compost. They have 2 windows in the coop that are open all the time that give them good cross ventilation across their roosts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by