Chicks sneezing?

The Golden Egg5

Chicken OBSESSED
5 Years
Nov 5, 2016
Boone, North Carolina
I have 6 chicks that just turned 2 weeks old. I noticed a couple days ago that they were sneezing. Is this a problem? I don't think there is any discharge but the sneezing is fairly consistent. They are in the garage on large pine shavings. Other than the sneezing they seem fine, but as a first time chick parent, I'm afraid they will get sick.

Last edited:
Chickens have delicate respiratory systems. They need good air exchange so make sure they aren't closed up too much. I would stick my head down in the brooder and have a good sniff to make sure nothing is too dusty or dry. Chicks can get brooder pneumonia, or aspergillosis, which is a fungal infection, so keeping them clean and dry is very important.

Another thing to look at is whether your feed is dusty. They could be having problems swallowing it. It should be a good crumble for easy eating, and always keep fresh clean water available with nothing added.

Chickens have delicate respiratory systems. They need good air exchange so make sure they aren't closed up too much. I would stick my head down in the brooder and have a good sniff to make sure nothing is too dusty or dry. Chicks can get brooder pneumonia, or aspergillosis, which is a fungal infection, so keeping them clean and dry is very important.

Another thing to look at is whether your feed is dusty. They could be having problems swallowing it. It should be a good crumble for easy eating, and always keep fresh clean water available with nothing added.
Okay thank you so much! Just the other day I was asking myself if it was normal for feed to be so dusty. I have never had chicks or chickens before, so I didn't know how dusty it was supposed to be, so I just left it. I fully cleaned out their brooder yesterday, so the bedding isn't too dusty. I opened up the window by them just a little to give them a bit of airflow.

Maybe getting a fresher bag of feed or switching brands to see if it's the feed.
Ok thank you! It is very dusty... also I went out and checked again on them and if I look very close there is a bit of water looking stuff coming out of their noses. When I hold them and they sneeze this water stuff comes out onto my hand. Just tiny little water droplets. Does this mean they are sick? Or just getting rid of the dust in their airways? Or could it just be from drinking water and it staying on their beaks. I really hope they aren't sick!

Last edited:
A wet sneeze could be a respiratory infection, maybe post in the disease and illness forum. I don't think you can get antibiotics without a veterinarian anymore.

I just checked again and they didn't have anything on their beaks. I will post in the emergency form and get new feed and see if it helps. If none of that works, I will see if I can find a vet near me. Thanks so much for the help!

Back
Top Bottom