Chicks snotty and sneezing

MistyDF

Chirping
Nov 11, 2018
Indiana
Last edited:
Hey everyone! I have 6 new chicks. Two are snotty and having trouble breathing.
Can I put antibiotics in their water?
I am guessing these two are maybe a week old. They are eating and drinking but sound awful. I have separated them from the others.
videos
https://drive.google.com/file/d/198pfh32Wa2693VgHqmt6n7uXS0pXZCW5/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o9K1s7w90xJ-T0IwY9-1GI_wzISodLvI/view?usp=drivesdk
How much ventilation is in your brooder?
Can you get a photo of the whole brooder set-up?

There are many causes of respiratory symptoms - ammonia from droppings, poor ventilation, molds and respiratory disease are a few.

In the videos the chicks do not sound well that's for sure. Is it only 2 out of 6 that are having trouble?
Where did the chicks come from?

I would lean toward respiratory disease. Depending on which one, antibiotics can help treat symptoms. Antibiotics are not a cure. Birds would still be carriers of the illness.
Treating something like Mycoplasma -you can use Tylosin, Tiamulin, Tetracyclines (Oxy/Doxy) or even Enrofloxican. If it's viral like Infectious Bronchitis, antibiotics can help control secondary infection.

Have you ever had respiratory illness in your flock?
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Unfortunately, they seem to be suffering from a respiratory disease that they may have been exposed to. Make sure there is no mold in the bdding from water spills. Keep their nostrils cleaned with a warm moist cloth. Many diseases are caused by viruses, and one from mold. Antibiotics will not treat those. If it was MG, that might respond to Tylan (tylosin) but it is not available in feed stores. If you have a vet, they might help you.

Thanks both for quick responses.
I just got them yesterday from a feed store so who knows how they have been treated while there.
They are in tubs in my spare room. No water spills, mold and ventilation should be fine. I have a broad spectrum for MG. My flock did have a respiratory think move thru it this past year but they have not been exposed. This definitely came from the feed store.
I just was not sure if such young birds were ok to give an antibiotic to.
I have attached a pic of the brooder. The sick Girls are in the temp box to get them separated. There is a heat lamp just not shown in the pic.

Attachments

• 2DEAE9AC-03EE-4361-9CEB-759AEB39727F.jpeg
    2DEAE9AC-03EE-4361-9CEB-759AEB39727F.jpeg
    547.7 KB · Views: 4
  • C4FCBA85-52BA-4655-8231-B12AC093D9E7.jpeg
    C4FCBA85-52BA-4655-8231-B12AC093D9E7.jpeg
    555.2 KB · Views: 4
If you already have something like tylan, oxytetracycline, or denagard, then I would go ahead and treat them. It won’t hurt, but if it is viral, it might not help and have to run it’s course. We can help with dosages.

I have Pennchlor 64 that the vet prescribed for one of my girls a couple mos back. I have mixed some up and will give it to the sick girls. I understand it’s not a cure but maybe help them not get anything new while they fight this off. I’ll update here in a few days.

I think that is chlortetracycline, and that should treat mycoplasma (MG,) but it is a chronic disease, carriers for life, and may come back again during periods of stress. Infectious bronchitis, which is the most common chicken respiratory disease, lasts about a month, then goes away for good. Chickens can be carriers for 5 months up to a year. But survivors can have some kidney or reproductive issues later on. Hopefully, your chicks will recover from this. If you lose any, most state poultry vets will do a necropsy to look for a cause of death.

Back
Top Bottom