CHICKS SUDDENLY DYING! Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hope this shows it well. Mostly like this, it has been runnier a couple of times after eating some greens....

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks. Ginny

It certainly could be coccidiosis even if they are on medicated feed. Medicated feed contains very low levels of Amprolium and chicks can and do still come down with coccidiosis while on it. That is why there is a lot of debate about the value of feeding medicated feed at all. I used to feed it, now I feed regular starter and treat if I see symptoms. At their age I would highly suspect cocci in these chicks before a respiratory disease, it is extremely common and lethargic chicks and quick deaths are classic symptoms. It is a fast killer and you will not always see blood in the stools so that should not be used to rule it out. Chicks will lay there gasping at the end because their bodies are shutting down and I'm sure it's painful as well. Cocci destroys the intestine. It is much better to be safe then sorry and treat them with Corid so you can at least rule it out. If it doesn't clear them up you can move on to something else but if it is cocci you will likely save the rest of them. I keep Corid on hand when raising chicks and I treat immediately when I see chicks who were previously active and healthy suddenly lethargic and not wanting to eat/drink.

I work at cackle, and I deal with this daily, although previous replies to post have stated its unlikely coccidiosis, weezing and respritory symptoms are also signs of such. I would refrain from using any time of "mycin" meds if they are indeed that young. sulfadimethizine is a common anti-biotic used for the cocci bacteria, and or 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar per gallon of water will help treat these symptoms.

It certainly could be coccidiosis even if they are on medicated feed. Medicated feed contains very low levels of Amprolium and chicks can and do still come down with coccidiosis while on it. That is why there is a lot of debate about the value of feeding medicated feed at all. I used to feed it, now I feed regular starter and treat if I see symptoms. At their age I would highly suspect cocci in these chicks before a respiratory disease, it is extremely common and lethargic chicks and quick deaths are classic symptoms. It is a fast killer and you will not always see blood in the stools so that should not be used to rule it out. Chicks will lay there gasping at the end because their bodies are shutting down and I'm sure it's painful as well. Cocci destroys the intestine. It is much better to be safe then sorry and treat them with Corid so you can at least rule it out. If it doesn't clear them up you can move on to something else but if it is cocci you will likely save the rest of them. I keep Corid on hand when raising chicks and I treat immediately when I see chicks who were previously active and healthy suddenly lethargic and not wanting to eat/drink.
Very well said!

I work at cackle, and I deal with this daily, although previous replies to post have stated its unlikely coccidiosis, weezing and respritory symptoms are also signs of such. I would refrain from using any time of "mycin" meds if they are indeed that young. sulfadimethizine is a common anti-biotic used for the cocci bacteria, and or 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar per gallon of water will help treat these symptoms.
Welcome to BYC! If the wheezing and open mouth breathing starts just before they die, I would bet that it's just part of the dying process.

Last edited:
Michael,
You give the Corid instead of medicated feed - I have been giving medicated feed since they came home, so if I am giving medicated feed then the Corid not necessary? The people that sold them to me say they feed this feed til they are 20 weeks old then change over to organic layer food. Is this okay? I don't think they have coccidocis because they have not been going limp, blood in the poo and they have been gaining weight so well....

The poo has been pretty well formed most of the time. I did see it runny on a couple of occassions after I fed the some greens. No blood.

You and the other post recommended some different antibiotics, since both of you thought it might be some sort of respiratory illness. Where do you get your antibiotics from? I know I saw some powedered I think tetracycline, when I went to the feed store. They have a nice variety of products for poultry. You recommended Tylan or LS-50, where do I get? Would the tetracycline work instead if all I can get?

Thank you so much. Ginny

The main reason I use Corid in water rather than medicated feed is I have bought medicated feed in the past which didn't smell right to me and chicks became ill. Out of 9 strains of cocci, only 2 types show blood in droppings. You will see runny droppings occasionally and that is normal. Usually light brown runny ones are cecal ones.

I don't know for sure whether you have a respiratory disease or not. Since that was your concern I just wanted to let you know what effective antibiotics to use. Chicks can gasp or open and close their beaks for a variety of stressful reasons, like heat, dust, crop problems, choking on a piece of food, etc.
Tetracycline may be effective if there is a respiratory disease which is bacterial. The Tylan 50 or LS-50 go after the viral forms of respiratory disease.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your replies, I really appreciate it. I just returned from 3 hour trip to take the last one to succumb to get a necropsy done by the state. They said they would do it tomorrow but she said it could take time to get results. That really worries me.....

Several of you have mentioned Corid. Where can I get? As I mentioned, I think I saw Tetracycline being sold in bulk at the feed store and I have some Doxycycline here at the house. Let me know if you had to get from vet or could get through feed store. I think I would like to treat for the cocci just in case - need to see what, where I can get the somethig to treat them with.

None of the chicks have had gasping breaths, nor any gurgling or bubbling when dying. They more seemed to "heave" quietly and labored- like. One seemed to chirp a lot for a while, more than usual, almost like complaining. So sad.

I think something toxic may have been near them, before you brought them home.
It could have built up in their little systems and overwhelmed their blood.
I am a newbie and am always learning something, this is so sad for them and you.
Sorry,
mg

Back
Top Bottom