Chicks water always dirty in brooder

water nipples, empty coke bottle and a shampoo holder, some use a bicycle water bottle holder for one water bottle....... or a small bucket hung inside. I'll never use a fount type waterer again, this is just too easy

Have you used these with Silkies or Polish? I'm wondering if their heads allow them to drink up like that, more so the polish than silkies, but some of my silkies can't see much above them either...

I don't see why Silkies and Polish couldn't use them. My Silkies have rabbit drinkers in their breeding coops (to help save some space). They use them without issue :)

I absolutely LOVE that way papchaz!!! Ty for showing that. Iam def going to get those soon! I have the same prob w my water dishes. Even tho I put them in bricks. Hang them up. They still find a way to fill it up with shavings or dirt they love to kick around. Do you have anymore nifty ideas?

I have just started my first batch of chicks on horizontal nipples. they were big enough to use them at a week old and it took the chicks 8 minutes to get the hang of them.I know I watched. After three weeks I can tell you by the late spring everybody is going to be on them. They don't seem to leak like the vertical ones do and I know the water is always clean.

I've never had polish or silkies, but I can't imagine they wouldn't be able to use them. You might have to play around with the height.....

I changed over to these a few years ago when I had chickens. Then we had to move into town for a few years and I gave all my chickens to my daughter and SIL to build their flock up. I stored the water bucket I didn't give him. When I got the chicks last week, I went to get my supplies out of storage and the bucket was busted. I used a fountain waterer I had, but it didn't take me long to see if I could get the nipples out of the bucket and make a few coke bottles! LOL those were the push in kind. I got them out and back in, but should have bought new grommets, they don't work as well. And well they sat unused for a few years.

Our local TSC and the nearby feed store both sell the screw in type in 4 packs. I picked up some and made the small bucket. Won't go back to a fount type again unless i absolutely have to

as for ideas on how to keep them from scratching and kicking shavings in their food and water, about the only sure fire way is don't put any shavings in there with them! they ARE GOING TO scratch, and it's amazing how far even those little short legs can throw those shavings!
lau.gif

Last edited:
x2 on the nipple waterers! My day old chicks took to it immediately, the minute they went into the brooder for the first time. One went over and pecked at the shiny little metal thing and water came out! She drank. The others saw her and did the same. Training time over. No dirty water, no spilled water, and no refilling several times a day! Whoo hoo!

I start chicks on the vertical nipples because I don't think they have to be strong. But I switch over to a waterer with horizontal nipples when they get a little bigger, since that's what's out in the coop. I refer to the two waterers as my "beginnner waterer" and my "intermediate waterer"! By the time they are integrated into the flock they already know what those red things are and how to use them! Good luck with your babies!

A day and half old and already experts! A few chowing down, a few getting drinks, and one getting ready to head into the Cave for a warm-up.

Yes lol. Don't put he shavings in! Haha. Iam learning as I go. Do you tho have any other ideas for chicks broodys or Roos ? Coops or anything you would like to pass down to a newbie?
263a.png

Back
Top Bottom