chicks who DON'T like heat?

sassychiken

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 19, 2009
Coastal Bend
My three little babies are doing very well, but it is interesting, they seem to choose to keep AWAY from the heat in the brooder. I have the heat at one end and at that end it is about 85-86 which I think is appropiate for their age (they are in the middle of their second week). However they are all on the cooler end which is at 80! They are eating and drinking and playing so I know they are happy and I'm not really concerned, just curious -- anyone else have chicks who don't seem to care for the heat?

Its probably to hot for them, I would higher the heat lamp for them, its not that they dont like the heat, its just to hot.

yep
big_smile.png

a larger brooder is nice for this because you can SEE what they want. If they want 80.. give it to them
wink.png

Yep, raise the lamp a little, let them tell you what they want. You want them moving around freely. It's ok if it's a little warmer right under, but if they're avoiding it, then it's just too warm.
smile.png

Oh they aren't AVOIDING it per se, they just obviously like the cooler end.

It is a little difficult right now 'cause our temps in S. Texas are getting a bit temperamental -- some days it is still in the high 90's but this weekend is in the 70's (and down in the 50's at night) so I'm trying to keep the coop temp consistent more than anything else. Requires a lot of raising and lowering the lamp on a daily basis.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom